Forum Discussion

21 days ago

PropertySource best practices auto vs custom

I looked at our portal and the Exchange for PropertySource modules that might have a lot of the "universal" snmp OIDs because we want to pull some in for all snmp devices. Specifically sysLocation (.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.6.0) for starters. I didn't see one so I plan to make my own. But if there is some Official PropertySource I should know about, but overlooked, let me know.

But, assuming I'll be making my own, what would be the best practices for a near-universal PropertySource (isDevice() and hasCategory("snmp"))? Should it be a custom property or an auto property?

aka mycompany.sysLocation vs auto.mycompany.sysLocation ?

On the one hand, I think custom is made for such purposes, but given that I intend to make it "universal" and given that lots of teams use custom properties however they want (so it isnt as tidy a section as it could be) my gut level desire is to make it an auto property because I know that nobody else can set that on the portal but me, so I can guarantee some consistency.

Thoughts? And thank you!

• Property sources can only set auto. properties. If you don't prepend the property name in the PS with "auto.", LM will prepend it for you. So unless you're talking about using the API to set the custom property, the PS will only ever give you an "auto." property.

• Property sources can only set auto. properties. If you don't prepend the property name in the PS with "auto.", LM will prepend it for you. So unless you're talking about using the API to set the custom property, the PS will only ever give you an "auto." property.

• Good, glad to know. Appreciate the quick answer. I honestly prefer this to be an auto property. All our custom ones have been set manually or with the API and scripts. So good deal, that answered the question. Thank you very much! They should change that title of Johnny On-The-Spot to Stuart On-The-Spot. Much appreciated as usual.