Forum Discussion

Shack
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
7 months ago

New Cisco Meraki Datasources Dropped

Has anyone implemented these?  I imported the Meraki Camera Health DS just to have a look at it and the Technical Notes read as follows:

Requires **Cisco_Meraki_API** DataSource to collect data. Reports normal system.hoststatus when device is online.

This module applies to LM Envision resources that represent discrete Meraki devices. These modules are not in-place upgrades from legacy Meraki modules that applied to LM Envision resources which represent a Meraki Org or Meraki Network. Each LM Envision resource that this module applies to will consume a LogicMonitor license. Prior to implementing, check with your administrator to ensure you have sufficient LM Envision licenses

For more information about migration from legacy modules and onboarding of discrete Meraki devices, see [Cisco Meraki Monitoring](https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/cisco-meraki-monitoring) product documentation.

I don’t know what an LM Envision License is.  The tech notes also reference what appears to be some new internet facing collectors possibly called “LM Envision Collectors”.  I have no clue what those are.

I have almost 500 Meraki Networks currently in monitoring.  Am I supposed to migrate?

Opened a support ticket for some clarity but in the meantime figured I’d get a thread started here to see what everyone else is doing.

8 Replies

Ajay
    Icon for LM Champion rankLM Champion

Hello,

LM Envision the new brand name is the unified observability platform with all the added new features in the observability space.

You can read about LM Envision here: https://www.logicmonitor.com/blog/announcing-lm-envision

The meaning of license is pretty much the same as before.

You can upgrade to the new modules if you wish to. However note that the count of resources might increase for example when you run a Netscan AP / Cameras will be pulled in as resources thus increasing the number of licences used.

You can contact your CSM (Customer Success Manager) for more detailed info on that.

Release note info on the new Meraki modules.

https://www.logicmonitor.com/release-notes/v-192-release-notes#:~:text=Based%20Access%20Control.-,new%20cisco%20meraki%20modules,-In%20a%20future

Hope that helps

• For awareness, yesterday we released our first module update for this new Cisco Meraki package. Internal testing by our SE team uncovered a condition where Security Appliances we not reporting Performance Score data. If you  are experiencing this issue, please update Cisco_Meraki_API from version 1.0 to version 1.1.

• Yeah, so roughly we’ll have a 80% increase in our license count if we move to these modules. Would be glad to pay for that if we didn’t have to do all the collection a la LM Cloud.

• Sounds like a rename and expansion of LM Cloud? Basically the general move from using on-prem Collectors to using LM provided Cloud Collectors for monitoring services that are cloud-based and don’t require direct customer network access?

• I don’t know what an LM Envision License is.

Envision has been in use for over a year now, but we still don’t know what it means. If your product names don’t make sense, fire the marketing team and start over.

Sounds like a rename and expansion of LM Cloud? Basically the general move from using on-prem Collectors to using LM provided Cloud Collectors for monitoring services that are cloud-based and don’t require direct customer network access?

No, you are still using your collectors to do this monitoring. Why isn’t LM providing this monitoring using their collectors?

FWIW: I’ve all but completely written off the new VMWare and Meraki modules. Their rollout has been so bad that I can’t trust that any of it works. Plus, the new Meraki modules are a money grab intended to increase your license count (because LM will charge by Meraki devices instead of Network like the “legacy” modules do). Yes, they may provide additional capabilities, but none of that has been communicated clearly in a way that speaks to any of my use cases.

• I don’t know what an LM Envision License is.

Envision has been in use for over a year now, but we still don’t know what it means. If your product names don’t make sense, fire the marketing team and start over.

Sounds like a rename and expansion of LM Cloud? Basically the general move from using on-prem Collectors to using LM provided Cloud Collectors for monitoring services that are cloud-based and don’t require direct customer network access?

No, you are still using your collectors to do this monitoring. Why isn’t LM providing this monitoring using their collectors?

FWIW: I’ve all but completely written off the new VMWare and Meraki modules. Their rollout has been so bad that I can’t trust that any of it works. Plus, the new Meraki modules are a money grab intended to increase your license count (because LM will charge by Meraki devices instead of Network like the “legacy” modules do). Yes, they may provide additional capabilities, but none of that has been communicated clearly in a way that speaks to any of my use cases.

Yeah the LM Envision Collectors confused me as did the LM Envision License talk.  I thought it was something new, specifically for monitoring stuff like this but it’s not.  It’s just a collector and a regular resource license.  

What will be next, Wireless Controllers?  Imagine going from 1 WLC with 3000 AP’s(instances) to 3000 resources.  Yikes.

• It is exactly what @Ajay said.  These are new modules that apply to resources that represent discrete Meraki devices rather than Meraki Networks or Meraki Orgs.  These are a new alternative to what we now refer to as Legacy Cisco Meraki modules.  If you want the new features these modules offer, you can choose to migrate from the Legacy modules to these.  More details are here:

https://community.logicmonitor.com/product-discussions-22/cisco-meraki-3853

• Sounds like a rename and expansion of LM Cloud? Basically the general move from using on-prem Collectors to using LM provided Cloud Collectors for monitoring services that are cloud-based and don’t require direct customer network access?

This is unrelated to LM Cloud