Forum Discussion

9 months ago

Moving resource from Linux SNMP to SSH monitoring datasources

Hello

I have a group of Linux servers where SNMP monitoring stats only work intermittently, I think this is due to the UDP traffic being lost when there is heavy usage across the network, as the outages coincide with times when backup data is traversing the network.

I have moved one of the servers to SSH monitoring which always works without interruption.

The only issue I have is that the server now has some duplicated datasources, one for SNMP and another similar one for SSH. “CPU Cores” for example.

How do I instruct the resource to ditch all the old SNMP datasources?

3 Replies

• Another use case for the implied ability to disable a datasource simply by adding `linux_cpu_snmp.disable=true` and having the DS no longer apply to the device.

If you remove auto properties, they’re likely to resurface the next time propertysources run. System properties are the same way. To truly prevent this, you either need to modify the device so that it doesn’t match the AppliesTo or modify the AppliesTo so that it no longer matches the device. The former is the better option because you simply need to remove in LM the SNMP credentials from that device.

Unfortunately, if it’s inheriting snmp.community from a group that it’s a member of, you’ll have to do some property inheritance gymnastics to get it not to inherit.

Stuart is right, I assumed you removed the snmp.communtiy or the snmpv3 credentials in my above statement.

• You need to go into the collector debug and using the hostprops command tell it to delete anything snmp related. Look for snmp version, sysinfo, etc. Even the auto properties that are associated. Once that is done, they should just disappear. I used to have a snippet saved where I could just copy/paste with a replace on the target resource for this.

• Another use case for the implied ability to disable a datasource simply by adding `linux_cpu_snmp.disable=true` and having the DS no longer apply to the device.

If you remove auto properties, they’re likely to resurface the next time propertysources run. System properties are the same way. To truly prevent this, you either need to modify the device so that it doesn’t match the AppliesTo or modify the AppliesTo so that it no longer matches the device. The former is the better option because you simply need to remove in LM the SNMP credentials from that device.

Unfortunately, if it’s inheriting snmp.community from a group that it’s a member of, you’ll have to do some property inheritance gymnastics to get it not to inherit.