Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Is there a way to Monitor MacOS devices

Hi all,

Not sure how easy this one is, we have a couple of MacOS devices used as servers, however I have been unable to get any useful monitoring data out of them using the Linux_SSH based checks

Before I go off and start looking to build something, does anyone have anything available?

Cheers

Kyle

6 Replies

Anonymous

Gotta ask the obvious questions:

Can you manually SSH into the macs?

Do the Linux_SSH DataSources apply to the macs?

Does discovery return nothing when you test the discovery in the Linux_SSH DS?

• Hey Stuart

Apologies for the delay in coming back, I've been busy building a few MacOs specific checks as unfortunately the Linux_SSH ones don't work all too well as MacOs doesn't utilise /proc

I have managed to get all the good stuff out of the Macs and have also published the Datasources (pending security Review)

CPU/Memory/Swap/FilesystemUsage/Uptime and had a hand hack at the process monitoring as well - works ok for my needs, if someone has any other ideas/requirements let me know

Cheers

Kyle

• Looks like they have been approved, although no idea how to create a package with them all in so can supply the individual locators for each one

addCategory_MacOS_SSH - FCHCFT / MacOS_SSH_CPUMemory - L2XZTW / MacOS_SSH_Info - 7DYF4E / MacOS_SSH_Filesystems - TKNF3L / MacOS_SSH_Uptime - 3K3NN6 /  MacOS_SSH_mysql - PWDC6L / MacOS_SSH_Tomcat - M7NXF9

Hopefully these will be helpful for a few people!

Anonymous

In order to create a package, you'll need to go to "My Repository" in the LM Exchange. Make sure that the package members are all set to public and not private. Click the big blue plus sign in the top right corner. Name your package and add the modules from your repository into the package. Packages are automatically published once created.

• Guess they have to clear security first?

I thought mine had but as I've updated some descriptions I guess this goes back for approval again?

Kyle

Anonymous

Yes, currently any change to the module requires another security review. Only scripted LogicModules require security review, to ensure nothing nefarious is in the code and nothing that will cause problems for the collector. Since you only changed the description, the review team will see that the code didn't change and I would expect it to get through more quickly.