Forum Discussion

4 years ago

How to handle WMI misconfiguration?

Hi LogicMonitor Community

We are busy implemententing LogicMonitor across our entire server platform. Something that I can't figure out how to handle is when WMI stops working for one reason or another.

I've just had an example of server that was set up correctly with a wmi user and all data for the server was populated correctly with CPU, RAM disk and so on, but the user expired
and WMI was no longer working, so everything just showed up as "No data" and all graphs were empty.

I kinda had expected that the: "Win_WMI_Access_Denied_ErrorCodes" would have kicked in again, but it didn't, there were no alarms/errors informing me that WMI was not working.

It seems like the: "Win_WMI_Access_Denied_ErrorCodes" only works if WMI never have worked on a server, once it have it doesn't seem to pop up again when WMI is not working.

Hope somebody has a good way of handling this, this actually also goes for SNMP monitoring on Linux servers and so on (not sure if any errors would be shown for these types of monitoring)

3 Replies

Anonymous

The easiest thing is to decide which WMI DataSource you want to consider your "canary in the coal mine" and set a no-data alert on it. That way, whenever WMI fails, that datapoint would have no data and would trigger an alert.

I'm surprised that the WMI troubleshooter DS didn't trigger anything. Have you checked that your portal has the most up to date DataSources?

• 14 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

The easiest thing is to decide which WMI DataSource you want to consider your "canary in the coal mine" and set a no-data alert on it. That way, whenever WMI fails, that datapoint would have no data and would trigger an alert.

I'm surprised that the WMI troubleshooter DS didn't trigger anything. Have you checked that your portal has the most up to date DataSources?

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try create a no-data alert alarm :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I went ahead and upgraded the module (from v1.2 --> v1.3), I'll test it out and see if it made any difference.

• There already is one, you don't need to add it.  But, you do need to dig around to find where those are (grumble).  Our rule: