Forum Discussion

Dominique
Icon for Advisor rankAdvisor
2 years ago

How many collectors do you have?

Hello,

Our Logic Monitor environment is overloaded.

What is the best practices to expand?

We have currenty 64 collectors “All the same size” and our internal LM Support for the collectors is requesting 52 new collectors!!

They are taking the approach to create collectors all the same size for 10,000 instances.

I was thinking about other routes

1. bigger collectors if possible for 30,000 instances each may be...

2. minimize the number of instances by cleaning up what is not needed but I am not sure anybody will know

We have an AZURE Collector VZPOHIALGCMON01 with 82,305 instances !!! 

I reviewed this Collector Capacity | LogicMonitor and apparenlty we could expand another way than the one selected !!!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Dom

2 Replies

Kwame_A
    Icon for LM Conqueror rankLM Conqueror

What is the best practices to expand?

Certainly, you have the right idea of additional Collectors.

We have currently 64 collectors “All the same size” and our internal LM Support for the collectors is requesting 52 new collectors!!

They are taking the approach to create collectors all the same size for 10,000 instances.

That sounds a bit of an overkill. For example, are you implying that your internal LM support is suggesting an additional 52 Large Collectors?

I was thinking about other routes

1. bigger collectors if possible for 30,000 instances each may be...

2. minimize the number of instances by cleaning up what is not needed but I am not sure anybody will know

I agree with these ideas. Give your Collectors more resources to handle the load while also minimizing that load from a Resource perspective.

We have an AZURE Collector VZPOHIALGCMON01 with 82,305 instances !!! 

😮

I reviewed this Collector Capacity | LogicMonitor and apparenlty we could expand another way than the one selected !!!

This is a great document that can provide a beacon of light (site of grace) in the Collector cave. I think you’re on the right path to overcoming this challenge, Dom. Perhaps others in the community can offer their opinions as well. 

• Our setup will be different due to being a MSP, but we have collectors with upwards of 140k instances. It is all about adjusting and tuning the collector.

One of the things we do is run an automation that deletes interfaces that have had a status 2 alert for more than 30 days. Most of these are interfaces that aren’t around any longer.

We have built a standard around collector sizing and threadpool counts. That has helped a lot. We have also noticed that if a collector is maxing itself out, more memory actually hurts for some reason. More cpu helps a crap ton.