Forum Discussion

3 years ago

historical data of data resource

Which of the following actions will remove historical data for a DataSource applied to a device?- LogicModules

• Changing the Active Discovery method for the DataSource
  • Renaming the DataSource
  • modifying  the Applies To for the DataSource such that the DataSource no longer applies to the device
  • Changing the collection method for the DataSource (for example, switching from JMX to WMI collection)

6 Replies

Anonymous

Sarath, are you trying to get answers for the LMCA/LMCP by asking the community?

• Changing the collection method for the DataSource (for example, switching from JMX to WMI collection)

When you change the collection method for a DataSource, it often involves different data retrieval mechanisms or formats. This change may result in the loss of historical data because the system might not be able to map or interpret the new data structure with the previously collected historical data. It's important to note that the impact may vary depending on the specific implementation details and capabilities of the monitoring system or platform in use.

That’s not the answer to the exam question and it’s also not allowed in the UI.

• Try again. Even cloning the datasource will not allow you to change the type.

Either way, this question is word-for-word one of the exam questions from LM’s certification program and shouldn’t be answered. Doing so defeats the purpose of having an exam for certifications.

When you change the collection method for a DataSource, it often involves different data retrieval mechanisms or formats. This change may result in the loss of historical data because the system might not be able to map or interpret the new data structure with the previously collected historical data. It's important to note that the impact may vary depending on the specific implementation details and capabilities of the monitoring system or platform in use.

• Ahh, I think I missed that point, when Datasouce once created the option to change the collection method will be disable, so until you clone the Datasource and change those will not be allowed. thanks @Stuart Weenig 

• Okay, I got it, Its only when we creates New Datasource (totally fresh) that time only we can select its collection type, not into clone and not into core we could change it.
    I think I know the answer now, but should not have to be answered 🤞🏻 :) 

thanks @Stuart Weenig