Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Custom DataSource's from Vendor MIB's

Hello,

I was looking into monitoring a few things but at this point in time we there are no LogicModules ro DataSources created for the products.

However what i do have are the MIB's from the Vendor.  Is there a way that I would be able to create custom DataSources and LogicModules from these?

Thanks in Advance

3 Replies

• On 6/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, starboy9 said:

However what i do have are the MIB's from the Vendor.  Is there a way that I would be able to create custom DataSources and LogicModules from these?

Not directly (can't upload a MIB to LogicMonitor) but you can create custom SNMP DataSources and using the MIB file as reference. MIB files can be hard to read but there are a few programs and online MIB Viewers that would make it much easier to read. Also LM has a blog post on creating SNMP DataSources at https://www.logicmonitor.com/blog/5-tips-for-creating-snmp-datasources-in-logicmonitor which also includes a link to a recorded training session on creating SNMP DataSources.

Anonymous

Yes, you can create custom Datasources from these pretty easily. You simply need to identify what data from the MIB you want to poll. The answer to this question usually comes in the form of, "I want to poll all the data that's in the mib table at 1.3.6.1.4.1.a.b.c.d.e.f.g."  I've been meaning to write a blog going through this process, so if you don't mind working through it here in this public forum, we can work through it. The first thing to do is to look at the MIBs themselves. Can you link to the MIBs here along with any ideas you've got so far about what data in the MIB you want to poll? Usually a MIB browser like this one can help you understand what data is in the mib and what form it takes. That's where I'd start. 

• You might also try cloning an existing similar data source and modifying the MIBs in it to reflect what you are trying to pull, the testing feature in the data source can be your friend when ensuring your polling correctly and getting back what you expect.