Forum Discussion

2 months ago

collector shell !snmpget space characters?

I'm troubleshooting something with snmp, and I am using the collector Run Debug shell, and my community string has spaces and I've tried doing community="my password" and 'my password' and my%20password and my password and my\ password and I just cant get it to work.

I looked on the support pages and in the help and I'm not seeing anything.

I know that if I come from the same collector I can skip the community string and it will work but I have a scenario where I need to provide it.

Does anyone have a link to any documentation on this? or experience with it?

Thanks!

• Not to be that guy, but while the string is technically an octet string so can contain any ASCII(?) characters. But the vendor usually has restrictions and going with the most restrictive will give the best compatibility. Cisco usually limits to alphanumerics, hyphens, and underscores (spaces not supported). I'm sure you would change it if you could, but I don't think LM considered the possibility that you could have spaces in your community string. 

You could log onto the collector directly and issue snmpget that way, assuming a useful OS like Linux. It would at least validate connectivity. 

• Not to be that guy, but while the string is technically an octet string so can contain any ASCII(?) characters. But the vendor usually has restrictions and going with the most restrictive will give the best compatibility. Cisco usually limits to alphanumerics, hyphens, and underscores (spaces not supported). I'm sure you would change it if you could, but I don't think LM considered the possibility that you could have spaces in your community string. 

You could log onto the collector directly and issue snmpget that way, assuming a useful OS like Linux. It would at least validate connectivity.