Forum Discussion

Kelemvor
Icon for Expert rankExpert
2 months ago

Can I set a different threshold for C drive from D or E drive space?

Hi,

Our Windows servers have the standard alerting based on Volume Capacity.  When Used Percent gets to 90%, we get a warning, 95% error, etc.  How could we change this so that the C drive uses a different set of thresholds than the D drive?

Can we do that within the basic DataSource or would we have to have one DataSource that just checks C and one that just checks D?

I don’t want to clutter everything up, but if this is easy to do, it would come in handy.

Thanks.

5 Replies

• Technically, you can bring device/instance level properties into a datapoint. You could then create a complex datapoint that uses the value of that property compared to the value of the utilization datapoint and output a 1 or 0 indicating if it’s over threshold or not.

• Hmm, I can’t find the Edit button, but here’s another use case.

When we do Windows Updates, if a server doesn’t have at least 10 Gigs of free space on the C drive, chances are, updates will fail.  I just put in a threshold to check for that, and I’m getting alerts from servers that have specialty drives that have less than 10 gigs free, that we don’t need to know about.

I’d like to setup a “Less than 10 gigs free on the C drive” alert, and leave the other Percentage based alerts in place for the other drives…

I ended up just creating a Clone ofthe winvolumeusage datasource, changing it to Name = C:\, and then setting a threshold based on free space.  Now the servers have two Volume_Capacity items under Disks, but it seems to work.  Is that the only way to split this out like that?

Thanks.

• Go better … 

Spin up 4 datasources.

Call the first “System Drives’ where boot disk = true and set % values (or absolute values but that gets sketechy in big numbers) , probably quite high cos patching.

then another for Non System Drives 500Gb to 1TB , useing disk capacity properties and boot =false,

then another for Non System Drives 1TB to 5TB , useing disk capacity properties and boot =false

then another for Non System Drives 5TB adn no cap , useing disk capacity properties and boot =false

Cos 5% and 10% when you have 5TB disks is pretty useless.

• Cos 5% and 10% when you have 5TB disks is pretty useless.

Exactly.  ;)

• On a big file server with lots of disks it will look like this