Forum Discussion

Kelemvor
Icon for Expert rankExpert
5 months ago
Solved

Can I monitor vCenter tags and create an alert if a computer doesn't have one?

Hi,

We use vCenter to manage our VMs.  We have the hosts in LM.  We currently have a process where we get an email every morning that has VMs that don’t have any tags.  We use Tags to manage backup schedules and things so not having any tags is bad.

Anyway, I’m wondering if that’s something that we could use LM to monitor.  I don’t need to confirm what the tag is, I just need to know if any VM doesn’t have any tags at all.

Is that something we can do with the build-in checks LM does or is that something that would have to be created by hand?

Thanks.

• We’re working on adding tag categories and tags to each vCenter VM instance in a format something like this:

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.TagCategoryName1 = TagName

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.TagCategoryName2 = TagName

so, examples might look like:

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.Environment = Production

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.Application = MSSQL

5 Replies

• We’re working on adding tag categories and tags to each vCenter VM instance in a format something like this:

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.TagCategoryName1 = TagName

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.TagCategoryName2 = TagName

so, examples might look like:

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.Environment = Production

auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.Application = MSSQL

• Following up on @Patrick Rouse’s comment,

Once we’re pulling each VM instance’s tags into LogicMonitor, we could then create a simple DataSource that checks for the presence of the tag, and alerts when not present.

Similarly, a Dynamic Group may be created that includes resources where a given tag isn’t set using a negative pattern match for the Applies To Query, such as !auto.vmware.vcenter.tag.Environment

• I just got the first cut of the new (pre-release) property source that does this and forwarded it to one of our early adopter customers for validation.  If you would like to test this in your sandbox portal, please let me know. Otherwise, I anticipate general availability in January.

• I just got the first cut of the new (pre-release) property source that does this and forwarded it to one of our early adopter customers for validation.  If you would like to test this in your sandbox portal, please let me know. Otherwise, I anticipate general availability in January.

I would be interested in testing this.

I’d like to test this as well, or has this been released already?