Forum Discussion

ldoodle
Icon for Advisor rankAdvisor
3 years ago

A few questions...

Hi,

I know how to create Dynamic Device Groups and have done one for Active Directory hosts using the hasCategory("MicrosoftDomainController") custom query. I would like 2 more dynamic groups, one for Microsoft DHCP and one for Microsoft DNS. I'm not sure what Category to use for each.

We are an MSP so provide LM to multiple customers. We have duplicate dashboards, one for each customer. Using Active Directory as an example the dashboard Token is:

##defaultResourceGroup## = MSPCompanyName/Devices by Type/Active Directory

How do I lock each Customer dashboard to just their own AD hosts? The LM guide uses an example if the MSP has a standardised naming approach for servers. We don't. The customer names their servers to suit their own naming convention

We are monitoring vCenter (VCSA). The default dashboard is pulling some info in but most of it is NaN. How do I resolve these NaN issues?

7 Replies

• 5 hours ago, ldoodle said:

I know how to create Dynamic Device Groups and have done one for Active Directory hosts using the hasCategory("MicrosoftDomainController") custom query. I would like 2 more dynamic groups, one for Microsoft DHCP and one for Microsoft DNS. I'm not sure what Category to use for each.

If there isn't a distinct category for DHCP and DNS, you'll need to somehow create them. Easiest route would be to use a PropertySource to query the device to find out if it serves DNS and/or DHCP and set the appropriate categories that way. Then it would be trivial to make the dynamic groups.

5 hours ago, ldoodle said:

How do I lock each Customer dashboard to just their own AD hosts? The LM guide uses an example if the MSP has a standardised naming approach for servers. We don't. The customer names their servers to suit their own naming convention

You should have each customers' devices sorted into groups already. When you create roles for those customers, you'll need to limit those roles to just those groups. 

5 hours ago, ldoodle said:

We are monitoring vCenter (VCSA). The default dashboard is pulling some info in but most of it is NaN. How do I resolve these NaN issues?

Check here that you've added the credentials properly. Follow the link to get more detail on how to monitor vCenter here.

• Thanks for quick reply :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Yes we do have each customers devices sorted into device groups already. But on a Dashboard you can only have a Token once, so ##defaultDeviceGroup## = root/Devices by Type/Active Directory, whereas I would need something like ##defaultDeviceGroup## = root/Devices by Type/Active Directory AND ##defaultDeviceGroup## = CustomerDeviceGroup

I'll check those links for vCenter.

• I think this is what I could do. But I'm not sure how to apply a custom Token to a device group (or even at the collector group level) and then reference that Token value in a Dashboard outside of the specific example shown where server names are standardised.

Custom Tokens

In addition to the two default tokens, you can select the “+” icon to add custom tokens.

Unlike default tokens, the “value” for custom tokens is not a lookup field, but rather a text input. As such, the value of your custom tokens can be any string. The primary use case for custom tokens is to facilitate the input of new customer data after cloning a dashboard.

Let’s say the MSP has cloned customer A’s dashboard for use with customer B. And that, on this dashboard, there is a table widget that displays the remaining CPU for one of customer A’s servers. If the MSP used a standardized naming strategy for all their devices (e.g. CustomerName.server), they could simply add a custom token to their dashboard (e.g. ##CustomerName##) and define the value as the name of the customer to which this dashboard is dedicated (in this case, customer A). Then, in the table widget’s devices field, they would use ##CustomerName##.server. Strategically, this means that after the MSP has cloned this dashboard for customer B, all they would have to do to populate customer B’s data is replace the value of ##CustomerName## in the dashboard’s Manage Dashboard dialog box with the name of customer B.

• Regarding VMware:

Within LogicMonitor, you need to define the properties 'esx.user' and 'esx.pass' on the global, group or device level, matching the read only user you created in vSphere.

I had those properties at the Collector Group level. So that leads on to another question... when should properties be done at a particular level?

• 4 hours ago, ldoodle said:

But on a Dashboard you can only have a Token once

Yes, custom tokens is the answer. Or in your dashboard, you can specify the full path down to the directory servers (i.e. "root/customerdevicegroup/adservers/*"

• How do I create and reference custom Tokens? And are Tokens the same thing as Properties?

Because on a Collector Group, Collector, Device Group or single Device, you set Properties, not Tokens. So how do I reference these Properties in a Dashboard?

• You cannot do what you're trying to do in the bottom screenshot.

Correct: tokens are not properties.

Tokens are dashboard level variables that you create on the dashboard and reference in the widget configurations. 

On 6/24/2022 at 4:10 AM, ldoodle said:

I would need something like ##defaultDeviceGroup## = root/Devices by Type/Active Directory AND ##defaultDeviceGroup## = CustomerDeviceGroup

You should have a sub-groups under the customer groups that further organize the resources.

So, you'd still only use the token once, but the value would be "root/CustomerDeviceGroup/Active Directory".