Forum Discussion

7 years ago

VMware Host Network Interface Status

I'd like to request that the ability to monitor if a vmnic on an ESXi host is up or down, while excluding NIC's that are always down. IE If vmnic4 was up and serving traffic, and then all of a sudden someone unplugged the cable, I want to be able to get an alarm on this. Also, the metric thresholds for Rx & Tx will not work, because sometimes traffic drops to 0 and the link is in a valid state.

15 Replies

• 2EADJX passed security review a while ago. It's set to Private though. @mnagel can change this from the Exchange in his account.

• 15 minutes ago, Michael Rodrigues said:

2EADJX passed security review a while ago. It's set to Private though. @mnagel can change this from the Exchange in his account.

Dang it, you are right -- sorry about that!  Metadata made it look like it was public.  I did check our overall list and I see this one has been in security review for a really long time -- 72KTC2 -- that is a better method for handling Windows event filtering so we can use both source and event ID and manage filters at multiple levels.

• We have a new DataSource that, for a given ESXi host, aims to capture the status of each Virtual Network Interface so you can get alerted if the status changes. If you would be interested in testing this, please DM me and we can set this up in a Zoom meeting.

Thanks