Forum Discussion

4 years ago

SNMP Troubleshooter

There are devices with no alerts beyond warning for "No Data" that are monitored primarily off of SNMP polling. I have discovered a device in which SNMP hasn't been functioning with SNMP for months and it has major implications for us.

We really could use a "SNMP Troubleshooter" that functions much like the vendor specific troubleshooters that already exist. To name one specifically, the VMware_LM_Troubleshooter.

I'm honestly a little worried of how many devices will end up triggering from this once it's enabled, but it would be a great tool to ensure we are monitoring what we are expecting to be monitored.

2 Replies

• 16 minutes ago, jakemontgomery said:

There are devices with no alerts beyond warning for "No Data" that are monitored primarily off of SNMP polling. I have discovered a device in which SNMP hasn't been functioning with SNMP for months and it has major implications for us.

We really could use a "SNMP Troubleshooter" that functions much like the vendor specific troubleshooters that already exist. To name one specifically, the VMware_LM_Troubleshooter.

I'm honestly a little worried of how many devices will end up triggering from this once it's enabled, but it would be a great tool to ensure we are monitoring what we are expecting to be monitored.

We have standard rules for this that rely on the no-data alert for the uptime datapoint, which otherwise has no alert thresholds. Finding which datapoint is appropriate is harder than it ought to be and I agree a dedicated troubleshooter DS would greatly simplify things.  Right now we have several alert rules per client to capture the problem adequately.

• FWIW, here are our catchall rules for those and similar items.