Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Improvements to dashboard configuration

Hello LM team,  I've been working on building network dashboards and felt like I was lacking some flexibility to take my dashboards to the next level.  Itemized out some suggestions below, things I have done in other tools that would really help tune in the usefulness and polish of the dashboards I build for our customers.

• Make more tokens available where they can be used, example: in displaying names of rows/items (such as ##DSIDESCRIPTION## instance description)
  • To make boolean or status code values more human readable, add functionality to configure output value to text mapping for datapoints, in a similar manner to or combined with color assignment (value > 3 outputs "good", value > 2 outputs "fair", etc).  Allow instance and datapoint tokens in these texts
  • For multiple instance resources, ability to filter resource instances for a widget to a subset where datapoint values match configured expression(s)
  • Ability to dynamically select a single instance which has the X highest/lowest value for a given datapoint - a gauge displaying one instance for example, I could create 3 gauge widgets for highest, 2nd highest, and 3rd highest
  • Allow choice of colors for color bar, big number, etc
  • Optional checkbox to not display the Title field of a given widget - (for a "Text" widget, to show only the text body - when I am creating big text to use as a header, having title text looks silly)
  • Add an Image widget - a company or vendor logo goes a long way in the impression a dashboard makes

3 Replies

Anonymous
    On 2/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, acortell said:
    • To make boolean or status code values more human readable, add functionality to configure output value to text mapping for datapoints, in a similar manner to or combined with color assignment (value > 3 outputs "good", value > 2 outputs "fair", etc).  Allow instance and datapoint tokens in these texts

This is an old post, but it shows some ways that you can visualize status codes in LM better than the current way. https://stuart.weenig.com/2019/07/visualizing-status-codes.html

This may be doable today (but hidden under a checkbox), can you clarify what you're looking for?

• Add an Image widget - a company or vendor logo goes a long way in the impression a dashboard makes

I assume you mean outside the HTML widget available today. If your option to hide the widget chrome were implemented, this could be done for sure with the HTML widget. 

•  

On 2/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, Stuart Weenig said:
    On 2/12/2021 at 11:01 AM, acortell said:

This is an old post, but it shows some ways that you can visualize status codes in LM better than the current way. https://stuart.weenig.com/2019/07/visualizing-status-codes.html

Specifically I would use this with non-graph widgets, such as list tables.  A table that displays 0 or 1 for status, I would write "up" or "down".  A datapoint I create for utilization percent that computes 0-40 as 0, 40-60 as 1, 60-80 as 2, 80-100 as 3 - I'd like to present 0 as low, 1 as moderate, 2 as high, 3 as critical , etc.

This may be doable today (but hidden under a checkbox), can you clarify what you're looking for?

I am able to color the big number with alert colors (yellow, orange, red) but no others.  In some cases I just want the number to be blue, green, gray, or some other color, perhaps the metric is only informative in nature and does not generate alerts.  It would be ideal to let me select the colors for the three thresholds, as well as the "otherwise" (green) color.

I assume you mean outside the HTML widget available today. If your option to hide the widget chrome were implemented, this could be done for sure with the HTML widget.

I'd like to just upload an image and not worry about writing HTML and making sure the source location does not get disturbed (or having to set up hosting in the first place).  The nature of logos would mean a relatively small file size could be enforced

Anonymous

Awesome. Fleshing out feature requests like this helps the product management team understand the request and deliver on something that really meets the need. Thanks for the feedback!