Forum Discussion

Keimond
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
2 years ago

Global Delay setting and maybe flapping trigger ?

Hello,

We happen to run across another problem last week that might be a nice feature and the delay is probably pretty easy to implement.

Sometimes a threshold might be triggered but then clear within X minutes. While these might be useful to know... I don't want my ticket system to get an email for these... so we tried to set an escalation delay of one hour (using a null escalation path for the 1st step as suggest in documentation)... but the problem is unless someone goes in and ack's the alert within the our of course the system is going to email again. Unless we write a custom API, we have no way to gracefully get these tickets to the ticket system without duplicates being created.

So it would be SUPER nice to have a delay per priority so that we could say do not sent send any alerts unless the alert has lasted for longer than X minutes.

I know I can do that in the datasource per datapoint but that's a lot of changes to go through.. which is why I would love a "global" setting :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Also noting for anyone using OpsGenie (us) or PagerDuty.. I'm pretty sure the delay could be set there... so really the global delay is just needed if you are using email/SMS.

After writing this I realized wait a minute that brings up the idea of a flapping alert... for example if I were to set my GLOBAL delay for 2 hours on errors... ok cool I now am only going to get alerted if the error lasts that long... but maybe I still want to be alerted if it has been bouncing for X number of times per X minutes... that way my global delay isn't going to ignore "flapping" that we probably should know about :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> 

No RepliesBe the first to reply