Forum Discussion

elisa_olivieri
Icon for LM Conqueror rankLM Conqueror
27 days ago

Different options for "Delete Instances..."

Recently had this discussion with a customer and it was brought to my attention to raise a feature request for this.

Customer is requesting that there are more than two options for deleting instances in a module.

Instead of "delete immediately" or "delete after 30 days", they are suggesting a few more options such as "delete after 7 days" or "delete after 14 days".

• I'm all for whatever feature requests people would like, go for it! But I'm kinda wondering what the use case with this one is or if I'm misunderstanding something. I assume this is referring to the option to auto delete an instance in a DataSource when autodiscover no longer discovers it. The 30 day option is more of a grace period so if autodiscover then re-finds the instance you don't lose past data.

Regardless which option you chose, the instance still disappears immediately from the portal and can't cause alerts from my understanding. I would understand if this would keep the instance visible and alertable during the X days but I don't think it works like that. Would a use case be for an instance to reappear and kinda reset past data after 7 or 14 days? Or am I missing understanding something or don't see a potentially useful and outside-the-box use-case?

Stuart_Weenig
      Icon for Mastermind rankMastermind
      Mike_Moniz wrote:

keep the instance visible and alertable during the X days but I don't think it works like that.

That's exactly what I'm asking the feature request to make available. 

• Don't forget that " delete instances " doesn't actually delete instances or prevent them from being deleted. All it does is maintain the historical data. What would really be nice is if the instance was still visible, but set to not alert after a certain amount of time, then got deleted. 

It would be really nice if delete instances actually didn't delete them, but showed that they were marked for deletion before finally hiding them. The problem is some things go down and get deleted before the alert showing that it went down is generated. We have quite a few data sources where cannot use auto delete (so it's all manual and tedious), because if they do, we miss the alert saying that it went down. This is because the alert generates at the same time that the instance is deleted. And no alert actually happens. 

Stuart_Weenig
      Icon for Mastermind rankMastermind

For us, it would be perfect if we could say "mute alerts after X collection cycles after it disappears from discovery". This way, the alert would still get generated, the instance would hang out while we fixed it, and if we didn't fix it the instance would eventually delete, cleaning it up automatically.