Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Dashboard Master Template

I often use dashboard tokens for cloning dashboards out to different locations and I find if I update my master dashboard I then have to go and manually update the same widgets on all the dashboards that were cloned from my master dashboard template.

I would be fantastic if a change was made to a master template dashboard if that change could be reflected to all dashboards that were cloned from the master!

3 Replies

• On 9/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, Batman said:

I often use dashboard tokens for cloning dashboards out to different locations and I find if I update my master dashboard I then have to go and manually update the same widgets on all the dashboards that were cloned from my master dashboard template.

I would be fantastic if a change was made to a master template dashboard if that change could be reflected to all dashboards that were cloned from the master!

I would love this too. A master template that we could add devices (different tokens) into. It is super annoying to have to make the same change on 60 different dashboards or change one, delete all the other old ones, then clone them all again. 

• This is a specific case of the more general needed feature of linked (inherited) clones -- this applies to anything that can be cloned so that inheritance and overrides can be leveraged. My original request on this many years back applied to LogicModules (datasources primarily), but the same applies here and to virtually any primary object type that can be cloned. I have been pushing for this repeatedly across the years. Instead of linked clones for modules we now have SMR via Exchange -- much better than blind replacement, but linked clones would be far superior (including this dashboard inheritance use case).