Forum Discussion

12 months ago
Solved

CIENA MCP - API Datasource

Hello, 

Has anyone built a datasource to pull in Alarms data from CIENA MCP? I see that Ciena has a well-defined API page for the MCP.

I only see references to the Ciena Wave Server and an SNMP OID identifier. Nothing specific to MCP. Please let me know if someone has something or is working on. Figured I ask before we start to dig into this. 

Thanks! in advance. 

/Dan

• Hey @DanT hope everything is going well!
    I’ll say, in my 5 years working with our customers I’ve not come across anything for CIENA MCP monitoring, we do have a suite for CIENA Waveserver. It may be worth submitting this request as Product Feedback to develop official support even if you do pursue this yourself, just remember to include your desired datapoints and any relevant API documentation for our developers to work from!

You can submit feedback directly from your LogicMonitor portal by clicking Support > Contact Support > Feedback (the same place you’d open a ticket or chat with an engineer).

3 Replies

• Might as well put in a feature request for an alert ingestion endpoint. Excepting EventSources (which are polling not event driven) it’s not straightforward to ingest alerts into LM.

• Hey @DanT hope everything is going well!
    I’ll say, in my 5 years working with our customers I’ve not come across anything for CIENA MCP monitoring, we do have a suite for CIENA Waveserver. It may be worth submitting this request as Product Feedback to develop official support even if you do pursue this yourself, just remember to include your desired datapoints and any relevant API documentation for our developers to work from!

You can submit feedback directly from your LogicMonitor portal by clicking Support > Contact Support > Feedback (the same place you’d open a ticket or chat with an engineer).

• Hello @Patrick Friar 

Thanks! That works. I will go ahead and submit Product Feedback.

Just for reference - if someone comes across this thread - 

Ciena MCP REST API Documentation Root - https://software.ciena.com/releasenotes/MCP-DOCS_5.2-217/build/site/mcp-docs/api-guide/Overview.html

As to interesting datapoints, that is something we still need to understand better.

If MCP is monitoring the Ciena gear deployed, then for now, this might be something as simple as MCP to send northbound alerts to LM (based on the alert conditions) via webhooks or LM to query the alerts in MCP, so we have a single place where alerts are managed. 

Will certainly dig through and add more details to the product feedback request. 

Thanks!
    Dan