Forum Discussion

Mosh
Icon for Professor rankProfessor
5 years ago

Add option to copy SDTs from resource to group

Please add and option to copy SDTs from resource object to group object.  This would save a lot of time when we're refactoring our resource hierarchy.

9 Replies

• BUMPING!!!! We need this. I was asked to exclude services on multiple boxes for 10 services between a specific set time. M-F 11PM-5AM 

There is no way as I see it to specify M-F 11PM-5AM in one SDT but have to create a Weekly one and select Monday and repeat this 5x for every service for every machine. Why is there no DUPLICATE button/function or way to create SDT schedules so i can apply this to multiple things at once? 

• Yep, it is super rustrating not having this simple feature! Would be a huge time saver.

Anonymous
    On 10/29/2020 at 9:48 AM, DanB said:

There is no way as I see it to specify M-F 11PM-5AM in one SDT but have to create a Weekly one and select Monday and repeat this 5x for every service for every machine. Why is there no DUPLICATE button/function or way to create SDT schedules so i can apply this to multiple things at once? 

This sounds like a separate feature request: more flexible repetition options in SDTs.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:10 AM, Mosh said:

Please add and option to copy SDTs from resource object to group object.  This would save a lot of time when we're refactoring our resource hierarchy.

I get this if you've put the SDT on the device and it would be better for the group. Is there a use case outside that?

• On 4/12/2021 at 8:13 PM, Stuart Weenig said:

This sounds like a separate feature request: more flexible repetition options in SDTs.

I get this if you've put the SDT on the device and it would be better for the group. Is there a use case outside that?

@Stuart WeenigHi, yes, an example would be where we have a business service that starts off with one platform, and then one day is expanded to multiple platforms to scale up/out.

Anonymous
    1 hour ago, Mosh said:

Hi, yes, an example would be where we have a business service that starts off with one platform, and then one day is expanded to multiple platforms to scale up/out.

Ah, I see. And when it was just one platform (resource?), it was not in a group. Once more resources were added, a group was created and you want to move the SDT from that one resource to the group that now contains it.

• 18 hours ago, Stuart Weenig said:

Ah, I see. And when it was just one platform (resource?), it was not in a group. Once more resources were added, a group was created and you want to move the SDT from that one resource to the group that now contains it.

Yes, or the platform (resource) may have started life as part of another group and then the business service was changed (application services separated out to different platforms), resulting in a new group to reflect the new architecture of the business service.

• Another use case today. We have SDTs at a top level group, but now need to move those SDTs down a level in the hierarchy (because SDT windows need to be varied due to change in the business).  Now I have to manually recreate them all on th elower level groups.  A "Copy SDT From" option would save us time.  Out enterprise operates around the globe with business continually reorganizing (M&A, etc), so we're dealing with different timezones, etc. all the time.  (We've achieved our end state with the monitoring side of things, so now it's these little Operations productivity enhancements that we're interested.)

Anonymous

Hm, if SDT was an actual entity regardless of where it existed, then you could assign the SDT to any entity, that would work too, yeah? Similar to the way escalation chains exist regardless of their assignment to an alert rule.

• Hi Everyone,

is there already a feature request for this? We need this functionality as well to be more flexible with applying, duplicating and moving SDT.