Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Ability to perform actions on alert triggers

It would be very beneficial to have a way to run a PS script or batch file when an alert is fired.  We monitor certain Windows Processes and occasionally those processes will fail.  We would like the ability to auto restart those processes when the Alert is triggered.

7 Replies

• Also, see this one: http://blog.mikesuding.com/2018/12/03/automatic-action-triggered-by-an-alert/ -- Mike Suding is no longer at LM, but he left this trove of cool things behind :).

That said, it is generally tricky outside the system to trigger actions so LM really should make this builtin.  One day they will, for an extra cost, probably (some new licensed thing like "LM Actions").  Or you can use the undocumented debugger API, which would allow you to basically run anything you want in response to receiving an alert.  Not that this ever keeps me up at nights....

• I'm not sure I'm really convinced StackStorm is the way to go, given that the commands I want to run should be run on the Collector the device is currently assigned to. By using StackStorm, there has to be API access back in, SS has to figure out which collector it's on, send the console command, scrape the output, then post the output back into the alert. That's a lot of back and forth between LM and SS when having the ability in house would simplify things greatly.

• 21 hours ago, mnagel said:

Mike Suding is no longer at LM, but he left this trove of cool things behind

@mnagel, the one i linked to is Suding's but improved.

• Since it can be difficult to initiate operations outside of the system, LM ought to build this functionality in. One day they will, probably at an additional fee (some new licenced thing like "LM Actions"). Alternately, you could use the undocumented debugger API, which would let you execute virtually anything in response to receiving an alert. Not that I ever have trouble sleeping due to this.

• On 11/4/2022 at 6:13 AM, lina146 said:

LM ought to build this functionality in

Yes, they should.