Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Widget for ping monitoring

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to figure out how to create a widget, that will show the top ten servers that have a ping of above 100ms. 

I can make the standard ping widget, but I don't see a way to limit the graph to those servers that have a high ping. Do I need to use the virtual datapoint? 

Or, maybe I need clarification on what it means when I select top 10 on an average, or maxrtt datapoint.

Thanks!

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • You would bring in the ping as a "do not display" value, then make a virtual datapoint that uses an if() to evaluate the >100 and return a NAN for the false condition.

• On 11/1/2019 at 7:59 AM, Cole McDonald said:

You would bring in the ping as a "do not display" value, then make a virtual datapoint that uses an if() to evaluate the >100 and return a NAN for the false condition.

OK, I understood the first part. I'm not sure on the expression for the second part. I'm not familiar with the complex datapoint syntax for the expression. Should it look like if(maxrtt>100, 1, NaN)? 

• Hey @Phillip,

As @Cole McDonald noted, you can use a virtual datapoint with the Ping datasource in something like the custom graph widget - here's the expression you would want to use:

if(lt(average,100),unkn,average)

Which says "If the average ping round trip time is less than 100ms, return an unknown value (so it doesn't get graphed,) otherwise return the actual value of the datapoint."

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Kerry