Forum Discussion

6 years ago

VMware Overview Dashboard

Hello,

I'm new to LogicMonitor and we've just got our first vCenter server configured and monitored.  I'm trying to figure out why the VMware Virtual Machine Status dashboard is saying "Instance limit exceeded (2000) (other than the obvious - that we exceeded the limit) and how to modify the dashboard to provide some meaningful data and visualizations that we can use.

Has anyone else encountered this? And if so do you have a smaller query or dashboard panel that can help correct this?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I don't recall what the default VM dashboard looks like, and likely have changed since we start using LM anyway, but here are some more generic ideas:

• Most widgets have options to show a TOP/BOTTOM 5, 10 or 25 datapoints, you can try using this rather than ALL to not hit the 2000 instance limit.
    • You can modify widgets to look at a smaller sections of your environment, perhaps based on your vm naming convention, and then clone the widgets as needed.

• That's what we ultimately ended up doing, we chose Device DataSource instead of all.  Was just curious how others handled this when they had large vCenter environments.