Forum Discussion

Joe_Skup's avatar
6 years ago

Tuning a collector to work on a t2.micro EC2 instance?

I know that it is not exactly recommended/reliable to use a 1GB/1CPU Core machine to monitor...but it seems that installing a "nano" sized collector on a t2.micro AWS instance and having it just monitor itself brings the AWS instance to a screeching halt.

I am seeing that when the collector is running, top shows that CPU pegs to 100% almost nonstop. Memory is not hit quite as bad..but it does get up there to use 500mb+

But the CPU load average is 5+ cores and it makes the system unusable. Sometimes this causes the instance to throw status alerts & even crash.

Question: Has anybody been able to tweak the wrapper.conf etc files to make the collector CPU load less demanding?

  • Update- I found the solution:

    Edit agent.conf:
    1. collector.xxxx.enable=false on every unused/unneeded datasource collection mechanism.
    2. eventcollector.xxxx.enable=false on every unused/unneeded eventsource collection mechanism.
    3. sbproxy.pool.connections=25
    4. sbproxy.linux.threadPoolSize=60
    5. collector.snmp.threadpool=25
    6. discover.workers=5

    In my case, I pretty much am monitoring the collector machine only, and I've only left snmp, script & webpage-related collectors enabled and this seems to have done the trick.

    The last few configurations might not be necessary..but everything seems to be working fine with these configs..!

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Update- I found the solution:

    Edit agent.conf:
    1. collector.xxxx.enable=false on every unused/unneeded datasource collection mechanism.
    2. eventcollector.xxxx.enable=false on every unused/unneeded eventsource collection mechanism.
    3. sbproxy.pool.connections=25
    4. sbproxy.linux.threadPoolSize=60
    5. collector.snmp.threadpool=25
    6. discover.workers=5

    In my case, I pretty much am monitoring the collector machine only, and I've only left snmp, script & webpage-related collectors enabled and this seems to have done the trick.

    The last few configurations might not be necessary..but everything seems to be working fine with these configs..!