Forum Discussion

6 years ago
Solved

Tracking null system.category

I'm doing a moderately large new install of logicmonitor in multiple datacenters and found that if I come across a system that's being firewalled or blocked in general, it has a null system.category.

I've been fiddling with using Dynamic Groups and have hit on a problem where I can't actually determine if system.category is null. I've tried hasCategory(""), system.category =~ "" , system.category !~ "*", and join(system.category,",") =~ ""

Any guidance would be appreciated.

• @Dan_Wood You should be able to check for devices with an empty system.categories property using this dynamic group query:

!system.categories

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • 6 minutes ago, Dan_Wood said:

I'm doing a moderately large new install of logicmonitor in multiple datacenters and found that if I come across a system that's being firewalled or blocked in general, it has a null system.category.

I've been fiddling with using Dynamic Groups and have hit on a problem where I can't actually determine if system.category is null. I've tried hasCategory(""), system.category =~ "" , system.category !~ "*", and join(system.category,",") =~ ""

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Gah, I typo'd in my post; s/category/categories/

Sarah_Terry
    Icon for Product Manager rankProduct Manager

@Dan_Wood You should be able to check for devices with an empty system.categories property using this dynamic group query:

!system.categories

• On 8/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, Sarah Terry said:

@Dan_Wood You should be able to check for devices with an empty system.categories property using this dynamic group query:

!system.categories

That works like a champ, one caveat though is that it does not factor in inherited system.categories but that is to be expected.

Thank you again!