Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Snapshot 'Age'

Looking for something unique here. I am familiar with the NetApp_Cluster_Snapshots datasource (MHNTRC). I would like to setup an alert if

1. No detected snapshot taken in the last XX hours (Ensure Snapshot/SnapManager is working properly)
2. Snapshot exists greater than XX hours (Retention)

Thoughts, guidance?

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Will,

For #2, on the latest version of that datasource there is a field for snapshot_age_hours, which, by default doesn't have an alert threshold but if applied could alert if a particular snapshot is over a certain age.  #1 is a bit more tricky since it would require an aggregate measure across multiple instances.  It could be done with a scripted datasource but but the good news is we are working on an upcoming feature that will be a much better way to solve this.  More to come when we are ready to release.

~Forrest

• 4 hours ago, Forrest Evans - LM said:

Hi Will,

For #2, on the latest version of that datasource there is a field for snapshot_age_hours, which, by default doesn't have an alert threshold but if applied could alert if a particular snapshot is over a certain age.  #1 is a bit more tricky since it would require an aggregate measure across multiple instances.  It could be done with a scripted datasource but but the good news is we are working on an upcoming feature that will be a much better way to solve this.  More to come when we are ready to release.

~Forrest

Thanks @Forrest Evans - LM.

#2 - Roger - I could use the snapshot_age_hours and set an alert on an individual cluster or client, based on ideal retention.

#1 - Is there any logic available now that would provide a warning if there is NO snapshot age that is less than 24 hours (1440 minutes) ?

• Hi

How is it looking with the new snap age feature? is it sill in the works or is it released?

//Patrik

• I believe this is now possible with Service Insight.  Unfortunately, that is an expensive premium feature targeted at Kubernetes and such.  This use case can also be handled, but should be part of the base product.  We have other basic use cases, like total PRI channels in use across multiple voice gateways.  I have conveyed this concern to anyone who will listen and have had some hopeful feedback, but no change yet.