Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Script/API to automate phone call to IVR server

Hi all,

I'm trying to find ideas, scripts, processes for a function our customer approached us with. 

In short, they want LM to place a call once per hour to the Interactive Voice Response application to ensure the IVR system answers the call, prompts are being displayed, and host database connection is established.

My only is guess is to somehow create a Datasource that runs a script to interact with an API that somehow makes a phone call and then displays information as a result. I would like to know if this already part of LM or would need to be heavily developed in-house or is even remotely possible to implement. If you have had any success with this type of monitoring, I'd appreciate your insight.

Thanks much

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi @Ether,

We don't have anything like this built out-of-the-box - but it sounds like it could be possible given the use case you've outlined. If you can find a telephony provider that allows you to make calls via their API - and then returns some status with regards to the call outcome - you could script a DataSource that fired off the API call (no pun intended,) collected the API response and then outputted it to LogicMonitor in a format we understand.

Sounds like an interesting project! 

Best,

Kerry

• This might be an old fashioned approach, how about using a modem to call the IVR using good old AT commands?

• 9 hours ago, Mosh said:

This might be an old fashioned approach, how about using a modem to call the IVR using good old AT commands?

I'm afraid I'm quite new at this. Could you expound on that Mosh?

• 10 hours ago, Ether said:

I'm afraid I'm quite new at this. Could you expound on that Mosh?

You'll need to be familiar with modems and AT commands, and have some programming abilities. You could then connect a modem to a computer/server, and write some code to send AT commands to the modem so that the modem dials your IVR system.