Forum Discussion

9 years ago

REST API Timeline

We support over a dozen customers with separate Logicmonitor environments (and counting). We are now building a comprehensive management application in order to enforce consistency across the environments effectively (custom datasource versioning, standard reports and dashboards, alert rules, email templates, etc).

Our POC version uses the RPC API's. However, RPC API's are extremely difficult to work with when it comes to more complicated objects like reports, escalation chains, dashboards, etc. REST makes MUCH more sense, and it looks like the REST features are coming along.

Since there's no published "roadmap", can someone please post the present status and priority level of the rest of the REST API's (no pun intended)?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Annie, we've had some exciting developments in our ability to manage our logicmonitor environments more effectively. Two remaining components that we really need to automate via API calls are:

1. Creating/Updating eventsources/datasources

2. Creating/Updating reports

I can see from with my web tracing tools that the new UI uses REST API's itself to perform these items, those API's simply aren't published yet. Also, when I try to replicate the same API calls, I get the following error:

---The specified HTTP method is not allowed for the requested resource (Method Not Allowed).

I understand the developers have chosen not to publish or permit outside access to these yet for good reason. However, can you please ping them to see where they are on releasing these new APIs (which were never released in old UI btw)? Also, can you try to ask if it might be possible to start working on at least one of them sooner rather than later? I think reports is ready to go, and it's just a permission thing.

It's worth noting that the reports one was easy to figure out and replicate, and I already have code built that could do it, while the datasource update one I don't quite understand yet. It was much more complicated, and is a slightly lower priority.

• We are publishing the REST API calls as needed and requested. They are the foundation for the new UI, and with that still evolving we are being conservative about the publish schedule to ensure stability. We're taking each request (and pain point) into consideration as we do so, we will reach out directly to get a more detailed priority list.

• Hi Jerry -

Great questions. We're about to release some significant changes to the Reporting backend, which is why we're sitting on that API. Those should be out early January, and we'll schedule publishing the API from there.

We're also building a better datasource backend, to allow for versioning and history - the first step in enabling you to share some of the inventive datasources you've built over the years. That timeline isn't firm yet.

We do look for help with testing the API prior to the official release, and will be in touch to see if you're interested.

Best,

Annie