Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Reports as body of email instead of attachment

Our CTO is asking me to provide a daily email report of some key metrics to our clients and internal stakeholders.  I'm able to create a suitable report and email it, however his concern is the number of clicks to view the report.  The belief is that the email will just go straight to trash if our clients can't see the report in the email body.  For me, using gmail, I have to download the attachment first, then open it from my laptop.  Two options we talked about were:

1.  Use the HTML report as the body of the email rather than an attachment (surely the days of text-only email clients are gone)

2.  A configurable/dynamic subject to provide some hint of what the report actually contains, e.g. the uptime for a particular service over the last 24 hours. If the subject said "100% Uptime", there is no reason to open the report, if the subject said "98% Uptime" I can open to see more detail.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to make reports a little more effective for a somewhat apathetic audience?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I 100% agree these should be presented inline, not as links or attachments.  Making email notices more dynamic (point 2) in general, not just reporting, is also very desirable.

Mark

• I agree too.  Option for inline reports in HTML email please!

• Another +1 here as this is a bit of an annoyance to view when cycling through a bunch of reports - and having to open attachments on every report.

Please make this a priority.

I would also love the ability to customize the sender name so it could come from a personalized Display Name and/or Email Title. (Feel free to break this onto another thread)

• This is a pretty important feature needed and I see no feedback from LM at all.  This one seems like it would be pretty simple to add as an option to the report configuration -- please add ASAP.  It is hard enough to get folks to pay attention to reports without having them have to go through additional effort to do so.

I would much rather see this than whatever effort was applied to rename Devices to Resources.

• I agree that this as a built-in feature would be really great.  In general, I find LogicMonitor's reporting capabilities, outside of graphing, to be really lacking.  I've written scripts to retrieve the data I need for reports via the API.  I have some jobs that dump data to a SQL database specifically for reporting purposes.  It can be done but does require a lot more effort than should be required.

• On 12/13/2018 at 10:21 AM, Matt Gauthier said:

I agree that this as a built-in feature would be really great.  In general, I find LogicMonitor's reporting capabilities, outside of graphing, to be really lacking.  I've written scripts to retrieve the data I need for reports via the API.  I have some jobs that dump data to a SQL database specifically for reporting purposes.  It can be done but does require a lot more effort than should be required.

@Matt GauthierI would be curious to see how you are getting data from LM datasources.  I have tried this and found the API... under-documented.  I worked with someone in support and we never really resolved the details of how to page data exceeding 500 datapoints.  If you have any code you are willing to share, I would love to see it!