Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Rack representation on dashboard (using NOC widget?)

We'd like the ability to illustrate a data center "rack" physically on a dashboard.

In simplest terms we'd like to be able to custom sort and arrange items in a single column NOC Widget to represent hardware in a rack.  The current sorting options on this Widget don't allow this (alphabetical or alert severity).

Ideally we'd really like a new "Rack" widget into which I can drop in devices in the appropriate "U" locations giving an instant rack health overview capability on a dashboard.

Longer term LM could take this further and have a free-form dashboard Widget/container onto which users can drop networking devices and "connectors" to mock up an indicative network schema. 

The above ideas would give users visibility of rack and network health in a more meaningful and intuitive notation.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • 8 hours ago, Dave Smale said:

We'd like the ability to illustrate a data center "rack" physically on a dashboard.

In simplest terms we'd like to be able to custom sort and arrange items in a single column NOC Widget to represent hardware in a rack.  The current sorting options on this Widget don't allow this (alphabetical or alert severity).

Ideally we'd really like a new "Rack" widget into which I can drop in devices in the appropriate "U" locations giving an instant rack health overview capability on a dashboard.

Longer term LM could take this further and have a free-form dashboard Widget/container onto which users can drop networking devices and "connectors" to mock up an indicative network schema. 

The above ideas would give users visibility of rack and network health in a more meaningful and intuitive notation.

@Dave SmaleThis may not meet all your requirements, but I have found using LucidChart goes a long way to solving issues like this.  Within LC can embed links to a device page, and within a widget you can embed an iframe to LC.  Clunky, but works, and gives you things like this as well as "live" network diagrams (not live like status-aware, but you can click on icons to go to the device page).  It would be cool if there was a tighter direct integration between the two, if that makes sense.