Forum Discussion

8 years ago

increase net flow top talker list to 50 instead 10

Hi LM-Support,

is it possible to show or choose a the number of top talkers in the netflow view and on a device and 20-100 on a Netflow metric report in a future release?

It would be great to get this option in future.

BR Chris

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Anonymous

Hi Chris, 

By default we show the top 10 talkers in the Netflow traffic tab, and output the top 20 in the Netflow Device metric report. I will reach out separately to discuss your use case for including other talkers. 

Clay

• 6 hours ago, Clay Turk said:

Hi Chris, 

By default we show the top 10 talkers in the Netflow traffic tab, and output the top 20 in the Netflow Device metric report. I will reach out separately to discuss your use case for including other talkers. 

Clay

Thx Clay, I'm aware of this fact. However, let's assume a large number of clients (maybe 10.000) will trigger a huge amount of "small" connections pointing to the same or even different destinations, i.e. downloading or getting exactly the same content from the same or even different software distribution server, like a security update or windows patch... this will hit the wan link with a bunch of traffic. I assume an issue like this, will not be proper displayed or outlined by LM, while following the above mentioned approach...

Anonymous

Ah, I see what you are saying. So in this case we wouldn't display the 10,000 clients individually, but would roll up that traffic in an "Other" category if the top 10 talkers didn't equate to 95% of the total traffic. Additionally, in the Netflow Device Metric report, we will display the top 20 talkers for the device(s), and then the top 10 per interface. Would this get you closer? 

On another note, I am curious what the use case is for being able to see such a large number of small connections, is this purely to understand what comprises a traffic spike or for something deeper?

• I agree being able to have a greater number of in flows and out flows in reporting would be helpful.

• We're working on a project to allow showing up to Top 100 and filters that can be saved and copied to dashboards. Our plane (not promise) is to release it in February or March 2018.

• And.. it's released. You can now set your netflow filter to show up to 100 top talkers...

• Excellent!  I know my Network Operations team will be very pleased to hear this.  Thanks.