Forum Discussion

8 years ago

How Min Max Avg are actually calculated by Widgets

My experience is more with the Gauge widget but I'm sure this applies to other as well.  There are options for Min, Max, and Average for the Data Series of the Gauge widget, but if you take the same datapoint and build out 3 widgets each using one option, the numbers are exactly the same.  So how is this supposed to work?  Is this option ignored?

As a test I used  time frames of 2 hrs, 24 hrs, and 30 days which should result in significant differences between the Min and Max at the very least, even still they are all the same. 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • The Gauge widget is a bit of an odd case - if in Gauge mode, it will always show the current (most recent) value of a datapoint. In this case, the min, max and average setting doesn't make a difference.

If you switch to Sparkline mode, so you see a history - then it matters. (Each point on the graph, which represents multiple data samples, will be the minimum (or max, or average) of all the samples represented by that one graph point.)

• Is there a performance reason as to why the Gauge or Big Number widgets don't do range based calculations?  It seems like a huge benefit in at-a-glance reporting or decision making to not need to interpolate that data - especially an average trend.