Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Exchange Online and Hybrid Exchange monitoring?

Curious what folks are doing to monitor their Exchange Online instances and/or hybrid on-prem Exchange Online implementations?  

I'm aware of the Email RTT and Email TT datasources which sound useful but require IMAP connections.  Besides RTT and TT, it would be good to see MS Online domain controller response time, a login time, and network latency as well.  It would be nice to be able to do this internally to our network and externally from an LM datacenter.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Matt,

Microsoft provides PowerShell access to some Office 365 services, and while we don't currently have anything out-of-the-box, I've been able to write a couple PowerShell datasources that retrieve things like licensing information and mailbox statistics, which could probably be adapted to any of the other commands that are available. In addition, we have some folks that are using the Scripted Internal Service Checks to login to Office 365 and verify availability from a specific collector or site.

Hope that's of a little help ... I'll see if I can clean up an example of one of those datasources and get it posted to the LM Exchange.

Regards,

Kerry 

• Kerry,

Would love to see those powershell examples for exchange online and if you happen to know of an example for the scripted internal service checks for O365 that would be awesome as well. :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20"> My App team has been trying to setup an external service check for the office portal but that is pretty basic, trying to step further into the web pages results in errors. :/

Thanks,

Nick

• On 10/20/2017 at 5:07 PM, Kerry DeVilbiss said:

Hi Matt,

Microsoft provides PowerShell access to some Office 365 services, and while we don't currently have anything out-of-the-box, I've been able to write a couple PowerShell datasources that retrieve things like licensing information and mailbox statistics, which could probably be adapted to any of the other commands that are available. In addition, we have some folks that are using the Scripted Internal Service Checks to login to Office 365 and verify availability from a specific collector or site.

Hope that's of a little help ... I'll see if I can clean up an example of one of those datasources and get it posted to the LM Exchange.

Regards,

Kerry 

Yes I would like to see them also.

• OK - I've just submitted an Office 365 licensing DataSource to the Exchange - I expect that it will take our team a bit to time to review before anyone can download - but it has PowerShell that connects to Office 365 (you'll need to set a couple properties for credentials) and then runs a command to fetch some licensing data. It can be applied to any device (there's no default AppliesTo set.) Hypothetically speaking, one could use the framework within to plug in any PowerShell commands accessible via Office 365...

The locator code for Office365_LicenseStats is: 9DJ9DD

• Thanks Kerry - that's great.  Our company is rolling out O365 and Azure increasingly - if this could be added to the Cloud Monitoring platform, I think it would make a great addition.  

I'll play around with those Powershell examples you provided as well.