Forum Discussion

8 years ago

ESX VM-

A modified version of ESX VM- to use a script based active discovery that also gives instance level properties. Uses Get-View to get data about the VMs and uses Get-VM as a fallback for those systems that don't support Get-View. This requires that you have VMware PowerCLI installed on the collector machines. I'll take another stab later to move this to groovy and utilize the built in Java API. 

Applies To: system.virtualization =~ "VMware"
Name: ESX VM-

RYD6DP

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Tom,

Your datasource sounds awesome, I can't wait to take a look! I did want to mention that we do have some updates coming for ESX VM- and ESX VM Snapshots- that will also include a number useful instance level properties. They're written in Groovy and use the included Java SDK for VMware. Additionally, if you use vSphere tags, these new datasources will pull those in as instance level properties. These datasources haven't been released yet, but are currently going through review.

-Michael

• 4 hours ago, Michael Rodrigues said:

Hi Tom,

Your datasource sounds awesome, I can't wait to take a look! I did want to mention that we do have some updates coming for ESX VM- and ESX VM Snapshots- that will also include a number useful instance level properties. They're written in Groovy and use the included Java SDK for VMware. Additionally, if you use vSphere tags, these new datasources will pull those in as instance level properties. These datasources haven't been released yet, but are currently going through review.

-Michael

Awesome! I didn't take the stab at the groovy portion yet because I wanted to use the full folder path for a VM.group and I'm not that great at groovy yet. PS was easier for me to get going want the concept was, then I was going to port to groovy after I got my basics down. Using this in our prod env now and going to use it to help populate our cmdb. I'm up for testing the new ones in our dev account. 

• Hi Tom, this looks great!

LogicMonitor, do you have an estimated date when the security review will be complete so I can import it?

• Apologies for the delay; now reviewed and available for download.

Note that because Tom's version has the same name as our stock module, it'll overwrite the existing "ESX VM-" datasource on import. I'd strongly recommend renaming the stock "ESX VM-" prior to importing this version to make sure it works as expected.

We're currently in the process of overhauling the LogicModule import with the goal of making this kind of workflow much easier. Stay tuned....

• Thanks Matthew!

Will renaming the original datasource affect any historical data?

23 hours ago, Matthew Dunham said:

Apologies for the delay; now reviewed and available for download.

Note that because Tom's version has the same name as our stock module, it'll overwrite the existing "ESX VM-" datasource on import. I'd strongly recommend renaming the stock "ESX VM-" prior to importing this version to make sure it works as expected.

We're currently in the process of overhauling the LogicModule import with the goal of making this kind of workflow much easier. Stay tuned....

• @Tom Lasswell I hate to steal your thunder here, but I did want to mention that we've released the updated version of ESX VM- I mentioned above These are written in Groovy so there's no Powershell dependencies. They also keep the historical WILDVALUEs and WILDALIASes from the old versions, so you can update without losing history.

I look forward to seeing your future contributions to the Exchange!

-Michael

• @Michael Rodrigues I created a separate datasource called ESX_VM_Health that actually monitors and alerts on the status of VMTools and a few other metrics.  I only just submitted it today, but I'd actually like to see my datasource wrapped up into the default ESX_VM- datasource since they are both extremely useful.  The datasource I submitted is also written in groovy, so you shouldn't have too much trouble merging the two since the collectors don't need any modifications to take advantage of the added data.  Your team could probably make it more reliable as well, since my datasource will likely throw errors on any ESX hosts older than v5.1.  I never got a chance to look into proper error handling to address it, but your guys would probably make quick work of it.

Thanks!

-Brandon

• Hi @Tom Lasswell, what version of PowerCLI is required and what versions of VMware are you supporting? The Active Discovery script isn't finding anything for me.