Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Dynamically group Interface Instances by Description.

WARNING - This method will deleted all existing instances along with all historical data to any devices currently being monitored.  DO NOT modify the original SNMP64_if datasource.  Instead clone the SNMP64_if datasource or download my copy from the LogicMonitor Exchange RX4ZAG.  It's recommended to run both the original SNMP64_if and modified SNMP64_if until historical data has accumulated.  

I needed to dynamically group interface instances based off the description.  In this case, the interface description held details regarding the interface by including DIA, UPLS, or CID.

It is possible to group instances with a RegEX  using this method. However, this only supports instance Name or Value.   It is not possible to group by the instance description.   

Then a thought accord to me

The ##WILDVALUE## would remain the same, just the name and description would be switched.  Instead of your instances named "GigabitEthernet2/1/4", they would be named "Level3 100M DIA-Pri | CID BBQG24909" and allow a Regular Expression to dynamically  group them using the RegEx "CID=".*CID.*"  Everything else will work as before.    

I cloned and modified the datasource SNMP64_if and switched the SNMP OID (Name) with the Description OID (Description).  

You can download a copy of this datasource from the LogicMonitor Exchange using the Locator ID: RX4ZAG

Then I was able to use a Regular Expression to dynamically group the instances.   This will create three groups CID, DIA, and UPLS that will group interfaces that include that string in the interface Name (Description).   

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Rather that switching the interface and description around you could add an instance level property that pulls the description again and then group by that:

Could be added to an existing datasource with out losing data. Ideally though we should be able to use instance descriptions with regex.