Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Dimensionless Cloudwatch Metrics

I've been creating datasources to collect our custom AWS Cloudwatch metrics as per the docs: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/monitoring/cloud/monitoring-custom-cloudwatch-metrics/ - mainly this is fine...

However it can't cope with dimensionless metrics: "Namespace>Dimensions>Metric>AggregationMethod, where Dimensions should be one or more key value pairs"

I've tried creating datapoints without a dimension but it returns NAN (probably because LM requires "one or more key value pairs" for dimensions).

We currently use a Python script to collect most our custom metrics but it's resource intensive for our collectors and I'm trying to move away from it. 

Does anyone know of a way to use the 'AWS CLOUDWATCH' collector with dimensionless metrics?

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I'm also not getting any data back for metrics with a resolution anything other than 1 minute :(

Sarah_Terry
    Icon for Product Manager rankProduct Manager

The CloudWatch collection mechanism should work with dimensionless metrics - have you tried using the Poll Now feature?  You can see it on the raw data tab for the DataSource, and it should display any errors returned by AWS, as well as the request LM is making to AWS (so you can see if, e.g. the aggregation method is being incorrectly passed as a dimension).  We'll do some testing on our end to confirm data collection works for dimensionless metrics & put up an example in the docs.

• 19 hours ago, Sarah Terry said:

The CloudWatch collection mechanism should work with dimensionless metrics - have you tried using the Poll Now feature?  You can see it on the raw data tab for the DataSource, and it should display any errors returned by AWS, as well as the request LM is making to AWS (so you can see if, e.g. the aggregation method is being incorrectly passed as a dimension).  We'll do some testing on our end to confirm data collection works for dimensionless metrics & put up an example in the docs.

Hi Sarah,

Yes I've tried the Poll Now feature, It gives an HTTP status code of 200 with Error Code/Message both showing None.

Both tried around 13:00 BST, request descriptions as follows:

Not working (NaN) but returning HTTP200 and no errors:
    Metric Path: SBProxy>E2EMetric>Sum
    Req Desc: {Namespace: SBProxy,MetricName: E2EMetric,Dimensions: [],StartTime: Wed Sep 06 04:30:00 PDT 2017,EndTime: Wed Sep 06 05:00:00 PDT 2017,Period: 60,Statistics: [Average, Maximum, Minimum, SampleCount, Sum],}

Working
    Metric Path: SBProxy>AutoScalingGroupName:##sbbroker_asg_name##>FileSize>Average
    Req Desc: {Namespace: SBProxy,MetricName: FileSize,Dimensions: [{Name: AutoScalingGroupName,Value: [ASG_name_here]}],StartTime: Wed Sep 06 04:30:00 PDT 2017,EndTime: Wed Sep 06 05:00:00 PDT 2017,Period: 60,Statistics: [Average, Maximum, Minimum, SampleCount, Sum],}

A dimensionless example in the docs would be great thanks.

• ...Additionally, why is the query (even the working one) giving "Statistics: [Average, Maximum, Minimum, SampleCount, Sum]" when I've specified Average/Sum?

...and how do I change the "Period: 60"? Specifying period manually for the datapoint isn't updating the query shown in Poll Now.

:)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20">

• On 9/6/2017 at 5:58 PM, Tom S-L said:

...Additionally, why is the query (even the working one) giving "Statistics: [Average, Maximum, Minimum, SampleCount, Sum]" when I've specified Average/Sum?

...and how do I change the "Period: 60"? Specifying period manually for the datapoint isn't updating the query shown in Poll Now.

:)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20">

Was this ever resolved or were you able to figure out how dimensionless Cloudwatch Metric could be monitored ?

I am facing the same issue.