Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Converting Octets to Mbps/Kbps

I've been searching the internet looking for anything that explains exactly how to convert a Datapoint from Octets to something usable like Mbps or Kbps. I've got a FortiGate firewall and the only datapoint available for utilization is InOctets and OutOctets. All I'm trying to do is create a line graph that displays interface utilization for multiple interfaces in Mbps. I really don't know why this is so difficult and not included out of the box but perhaps I'm missing something simple here. Let me known if you need any other details.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • An octet is really just a fancy name for a "byte". So if you multiply this number by 8 you get bits -- that solves part of your question.

The other trick is that you need to convert the point-in-time octets measurement to a rate with units of octets/sec (and eventually bps). In LogicMonitor you can do so by using the "counter" or "derive" datapoint type. See https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/datasources/creating-managing-datasources/normal-datapoints/  for details, but the short version is that these two datapoint types subtract the current value from the previous value and then divide by the configured polling interval to give you a measurement in units/sec.

Then to do the multiplication above, you can use a Complex Datapoint to translate bytes/sec (octets/sec) to bps https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/datasources/creating-managing-datasources/complex-datapoints/. LogicMonitor graphs can auto-scale for you, so we'll handle the Kbps / Mbps / Gbps conversion for you as needed.

For Fortinet gear, you might also have a look at our "Fortinet Fortigate Interfaces" LogicModule -- it does all this for you (and more).

• 51 minutes ago, Matthew Dunham said:

For Fortinet gear, you might also have a look at our "Fortinet Fortigate Interfaces" LogicModule -- it does all this for you (and more).

Thanks, Mattthew. I appreciate the info. Where is this Fortinet Fortigate Interfaces LogicModule located? I just went to the LM Exchange and didn't see it listed at all. Search isn't turning up anything.

• You should be able to find it in our "core" repository, which you can access from DataSources => Add => From LogicMonitor Repository.

We're in the process of streamlining this process. Apologies for the confusion.