Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Choose Custom Legend?

How can I choose a legend that is customized. For example I want to simply specify a metric of \'\'select\'\' but the custom option such as ##HOST## doesn\'t support this or ##VALUE##. It would be nice to override any provided value or option with what I would like to call it, like \'\'Fred Flintstone\'\' if I desire.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • If, for each line, you know the hostname, and instance name and dont need them displayed using tokens - that implies that there is only of each host/instance combo, in which case you don;t need (or arent using) wildcards or regular expressions - in which case you can disable the flexible checkbox, and there is no constraint.n

nWhen using flexible custom graphs, the assumption is that you are using the wildcard/regex facility, so there is no way to know what the lines are for without using tokens.

• There are 4 kinds of graphs, all with a slightly different answer.n

nFor a regular graph, there is no constraint on the legend, and it defaults to the name of the line being plotted - but you can change it to anything you wish.n

nFor an overview graph, it defaults to INSTANCE, to show the instance being plotted, but that can be added to (e.g. Selects for INSTANCE) or replaced (Selects - although that wont tell you which line the legend is for.)n

nFor dashboard custom graphs, you can edit the graph to put any legend you want, just by entering a text string, and there is no default.n

nFor flexible (wildcard or glob based) dashboard custom graphs, the default legend is HOSTNAME_DATASOURCENAME-INSTANCE - but again, that can be replaced however you wish - with the caveat that you need one token present in order to distinguish what the line is about.n

ne.g. you could change the legend to Selects - HOSTNAME, if you are showing the results from several hosts, each of which only has one occurrence of a DB on them. But if you change it to just Selects it will show as Selects - HOSTNAME_DATASOURCENAME-INSTANCEn

n(Full list of tokens at http://help.logicmonitor.com/using/gr...)n

ne.g. a legend of this:n

n n

nwill display thus:n

n n

nbut a legend of:n

n n

nwill display:n

n