Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Be able to use the same Display Name as long as they are in different Child Folders.

We have a multi-tenant MSP environment, We find that we cannot use the same display name for our clients even though the similarly named systems are in different Child folders. So \'DC01\' for Domain Controller has to be unique across all of our clients. Please consider changing this.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I already suggested this. It is very annoying that you cannot have VMHost1 twice....!

• I am surprised it took me this long to hit this one, but it seems it is still a problem, definitely needs to be fixed.  Given the last update here is 2015, seems like it is not being looked at.  There are other MSP multitenancy issues I have raised with our CSM repeatedly, perhaps they are all being addressed at once :).

• As a MSP this would be nice considering we have to name things like ESXI01 - CustomerName.

• I thought  the restriction was collector based, are you monitoring your clients from a central location? 

• 5 hours ago, PatrickATL said:

I thought  the restriction was collector based, are you monitoring your clients from a central location? 

It is not collector-based, but it really ought to be -- that would fix it, practically speaking.  You can have the same IP address / FQDN across multiple collectors.  You cannot use the same Device^H^H^H^H^H^HResource name (label) twice, regardless of folder path.  Another workaround is to require all labels to include a domain name suffix.

For example, I can add multiple Meraki Controllers to the portal, all with the same FQDN target (required), but I cannot call them all "Meraki Controller" even if they are on different collectors.  So of course, the second one I added required I relabel them with a client-specific prefix and that broke a bunch of widgets as they are formed from labels, and there is no "hey, that just broke a bunch of widgets" warning.

It is part and parcel of lack of support for a proper multitenant MSP model.