Forum Discussion

8 years ago

AWS Service Health Eventsource - Report at AWS Device Group Level

Today we were flooded with hundreds of alerts in our alert dashboard.  AWS was having an issue in the ap-southeast-1 region with launching new instances.  The "AWS Service Health" datasource found this issue and then alerted on it for each instance & ebs volume we had in that region.

That was too many alerts, especially since the issue wasn't with our existing devices in that region.

I would like this alert to happen on the AWS Device Group itself - per region, so that we can know about it, but it won't generate an excessive number of alerts with the same exact information.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sarah_Terry
    Icon for Product Manager rankProduct Manager

You can choose how the AWS Service Health EventSource is applied - by default, it doesn't apply to anything.  By editing the EventSource AppliesTo field, you can have it only apply to the AWS Device Group itself, so that you only get one alert per event.  

• The "Applies To" for the Datasource is set to my AWS Device Group, but it created alerts for each device in that AWS Account, in that region...  I will add the "hasCategory("AWS/EC2")" so it won't alert on EBS volumes, but it's still going to alert once per device, right?

Sarah_Terry
    Icon for Product Manager rankProduct Manager

I see, yes - if you apply to a group, the EventSource will apply to each device in that group, which is why you're getting duplicate alerts.  You'll need to make sure the EventSource only applies to one device to avoid the duplicates - a few ideas on which device to apply to are: a billing device if you have one in monitoring (as that is unlikely to come & go), you can add 'status.aws.amazon.com' as a device and apply it to that, or you can just pick any non-temporary device in your AWS Device Group.  Does that make sense?

• We don't have any devices that would permanently be in an AWS account (would it have to be per region too?).  Possibly the collector boxes, but I'd have to make the connection between the AWS EC2 device & its matching device that is the collector box...