Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Auto restart option for failed Windows services

I know that this is a monitoring tool and not management, however - When LoMo detects a stopped or failed Windows service it would be good if it attempted to restart. Our other monitoring tool does this.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Why would you prefer the monitoring system do this? Our view has been that you can set the Windows services to auto-restart, and set this up using group policies. It seems this is a better place for this kind of Windows response than in the monitoring - instead just rely on the monitoring to inform you when this management system fails. Is there a use case where the monitoring responding would be better?

• Yes, our current monitoring system allows us to do this. We monitor >60 servers and being able to perform routine admin tasks using a web based GUI makes a lot of sense to us and saves a huge amount of time. Logging on to servers manually to schedule restarts and restart services is a pain and very time consuming. Just being able to right click on the server/service and be able to manage it from the LM GUI would be so useful.  Our current monitoring software asks for a password to confirm you would like to perform the task and as of yet we have not had any problems with this.  Please looks at including it in the future as i really miss it on my LM monitored clients.

Also it would allow LM to build in scheduled down time and add OpsNotes when you schedule the task automatically so would be great for the monitoring aspect. You could always allow users to turn off the feature for certain clients that were worried about accidental restarts etc.

• I agree with Steve on this specific case since you can easily set the service to auto start and retry. On a broader since I would like to see the simple option of being able to execute an external script on alert. That would give us the maximum flexibility to take any action we want on an alert without having to have LM do anything other than call a script.

• We find many instances where even with Group Policy Set to auto restart the services that they still hang. In addition group policy works when
    1.) You have a very logical structure, not as good for one offs
    2.) You want it to be the authoritative location for settings/standards.
    For us Logicmonitor is the Authoritative place to define services we care about monitoring. It is Authoritative from a combination of Active Discovery and manual adjustments. Because it is authoritative it is also my defacto standard. To then have to create the standard in a document outside LogicMonitor and keep the standard up to date is something we will fail at. Every time we bring on a new customer we need to monitor LogicMonitor and then modify the group policy. Anytime that customer deviates from the standard I need to tweak LogicMonitor and my group policy.  Simply put lots more work when you manage 80 some odd customers that are the same yet different and those differences are already being captured in the monitoring tool.

• Hello Mike Suding,

Thanks for the valuable time and effort that you created a separate data source to restart the windows service. could you please share the data source details to utilize in our environment.

Regards,

Thanga