Forum Discussion

mnagel
Icon for Professor rankProfessor
7 years ago

alert rule order changes

Please fix the UI for alert rules to allow manipulation of rule order (moving, inserting, etc.) instead of requiring users to do this manually via rule ID management.  This is one of the many areas in LM where we should benefit from the computer handling computer tasks, not passing them off to the user.  In lieu of a full policy order management fix, please at least allow mass renumbering of rule IDs to simplify insertion of new rules when the IDs end up too dense/adjacent.  I assume I could do something like that using the API, but it deserves to be in the interface.  Cloning rules would also be a good addition related to this.

Thanks,
Mark

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Agree. We have quite complicated rules as we have many different paths for alert escalations, different groups are responsible for different things on a host, some have out of hours, some don't, etc. 

It's a pain having to open two tabs and flick back and forth when a clone function would save time and help reduce errors.

Personally I would be happy for the alert rules order in the UI to be the order in which they are actually processed and let the system manage the order.  I'd like to be able to simply drag and re-order in the UI.

The ability to test a rule from within the rule definition would also be useful.

• 1 minute ago, Mosh said:

Agree. We have quite complicated rules as we have many different paths for alert escalations, different groups are responsible for different things on a host, some have out of hours, some don't, etc. 

It's a pain having to open two tabs and flick back and forth when a clone function would save time and help reduce errors.

Personally I would be happy for the alert rules order in the UI to be the order in which they are actually processed and let the system manage the order.  I'd like to be able to simply drag and re-order in the UI.

The ability to test a rule from within the rule definition would also be useful.

I wrote a script for resequencing rules, works pretty well now.  My first pass was a disaster due to my forgetting that the API has no concept of "update an existing record".  All fields must be copied into the PUT content, or existing values revert to defaults, because that makes sense (I posted a feedback note on that issue). 

It is in Perl and uses a thin API abstraction layer I wrote, but I would be happy to share it.  Seems like a clone script would be similarly easy, but still annoying to have to step outside the UI for so much.

• mnagel, agreed, this would be a great feature. As we continue to grow and write more custom LogicModules, I am always concerned with an alert reorder causing unintended consequences. Cloning in the UI would make it easier for the less experienced folks on my team to handle rule building.

Mosh, I love the idea of the priority being "under the hood", as in, just process them the order shown. Insert a new rule here or there, and the system handles the numbering behind the scenes.