Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Add warnings when there is a risk of permanent data loss

We are better organizing our host hierarchy, and I wanted to rename a host subgroup to a more intuitive name. The rename process is simple - just a normal right click and edit. But wait...as soon as I had edited the name, all of the datasources that were mapped by host group were suddenly removed from the hosts, erasing tons of valuable historical data in the process.

I had expected LoMo to maintain the datasource-host mapping through the name edit process - essentially changing the name in the host view and in the datasource mapping simultaneously , such that it was the simple name change that it seemed to be. While I\'d LOVE for LoMo to improve in its naming associativity, to me the real fail is the fact that data was permanently lost and there was zero indication that the simple edit I was making would have any undesirable consequences.

Put another way, I don\'t have any incentive to use LoMo if seemingly harmless changes have far-reaching and unintuitive consequences. The UI simply must get better at alerting a user that a change will delete historical data.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • We are better organizing our host hierarchy, and I wanted to rename a host subgroup to a more intuitive name. The rename process is simple - just a normal right click and edit. But wait...as soon as I had edited the name, all of the datasources that were mapped by host group were suddenly removed from the hosts, erasing tons of valuable historical data in the process.

I had expected LoMo to maintain the datasource-host mapping through the name edit process - essentially changing the name in the host view and in the datasource mapping simultaneously , such that it was the simple name change that it seemed to be. While I\'d LOVE for LoMo to improve in its naming associativity, to me the real fail is the fact that data was permanently lost and there was zero indication that the simple edit I was making would have any undesirable consequences.

Put another way, I don\'t have any incentive to use LoMo if seemingly harmless changes have far-reaching and unintuitive consequences. The UI simply must get better at alerting a user that a change will delete historical data.