Forum Discussion

Kevin_Ford
Icon for Employee rankEmployee
6 years ago

Ability to "lock" a group to parent to prevent drag & drop

Background/use-case:

While the ability to click-and-drag to move items around on the Resources tree is absolutely fantastic, we've had a few but impactful occurrences where administrators accidentally moved groups when their mouse shifted slightly while clicking and it threw their target into the group above/below it. While a simple mistake with a simple fix to undo, some accidental moves have gone unnoticed until users report missed alerts due to alert filters/rules no longer matching.

The Ask:

It would be nice to have the option on groups & devices to prevent the ability to drag-and-drop that specific item (i.e. lock it to its parent group). After a very brief look at the current UI code, it might be as simple as this option not setting the related drag-and-drop CSS classes on that node of the tree.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • A much-needed feature, pop-up confirmation on drag n drop etc -  I would, however, leave out the option to 'do not ask me again' as some people might select that option the first time and then they would be back to the same scenario now. The extra mouse click of a confirmatory action is very minor when comparing the potential consequences of dragging one customer device group into another, especially if individual customer 'ServiceNow' or other integrations have been set up.

• Hey Kevin, 

As part of the new UI for the Resources page we plan to support something similar. For a single drag-n-drop move, we would show a dialog similar to the following: 

"Are you sure you want to move A to B"
    [] Confirm [] Cancel

[] Do not ask me again

------ 

When considering a bulk move using checkbox selection, we would offer a similar confirmation dialog with no option to "not ask again". 

Let me know if that type of solution works for you.

Thanks!
    -Linus

• Please make the "Are you sure?" an option that can be disabled in Settings. For us non-MSP enterprise customers that extra mouse click would be a frustration.  I like the idea of locking groups as this means we can turn off the confirmation prompt, and know that important service groups are locked from accidental drag and drop.