Forum Discussion

Anonymous
4 years ago

19 AUG 2020 LogicMonitor Basics Office Hours

LogicMonitor experts are live to explain best practices and answer your questions. There are no planned topics as this webinar is true office hours. Bring your coffee and your questions!

Webinar starts at 11:00 AM Pacific/1:00 PM Central.

Register here.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Anonymous

Q&A Transcript:

Q: Can LM monitor AD replication?
    Follow-up Comment: Monitor it for what?
    Follow-up Comment: For any failures.
    A: Answered at 3:30
    Follow-up A: I also suggest just googling "logicmonitor active directory" many times LM has a webpage specifically on how to setup monitoring for it.

Q: can you tellabout Dynamic Threshold?
    A: Answered at 6:26

Q: Can we see a brief demo of Topology mapping? We're interested in cutting down our "noise" during an outage.
    A: Answered at 10:28

Q: Could you demonstrate the audit and upgrade in the new Exchange?
    A: Answered at 19:31

Q: Is there a way to send notifications whenever Failue occurs within Integration Logs?
    Follow-up Comment: The logs were right on the tab at the top
    A: Answered at 24:27

Q: How can we monitor Pure/Nutanix physical interfaces if they don't have SNMP OIDs or API calls?
    Follow-up Comment: Do they have IPMI?
    A: Answered at 26:17

Q: Is there any API exposed for Integrations including Logs?
    A: Answered at 27:39

Q: Hello, What is the best practice for monitoring servers that have multiple IP addresses? For instance, an SQL server that might have two NICS. Two separate resources on each IP or use of the ping_multi datasource?
    A: Answered at 29:03

Q: Can LogicMonitor obtain basic Linux server metrics such as CPU and RAM utilization without the need for SSH?
    A: Yes, my default we monitor those metrics for Linux using SNMP, so no SSH needed.

Q: Having trouble with webchecks that need to run externally for loading and then logging into a portal, using cookies and tokens (cant be internal)
    A: Answered at 31:18. The thing I couldn't think of was Selenium.

Q: Is it just me or that Powershell datasources using .Net CLR are much faster and less spec heavy than Groovy  JVMs?
    Follow-up Comment: I thought it was the opposite.
    A: Answered at 32:58

Q: How can you tell if you are licensed for Pro vs. Enterprise?
    A: There isn’t a way to see that from within your LM account, so you’d either need to check your most recent LM contract or check with your CSM. If you let me know your account name I can pull that info for you now. In addition, is there a way in the UI to show add-ons like Service Insights and/or LM Config?

Q: these default value is enogh?
    A: Answered at 33:49

Q: What are the advantages and disadvantages to a Windows vs Linux Collector?
    Follow-up Comment: Linux collectors cannot monitor WMI on Windows.
    A: That’s exactly right. The Linux Collector can’t do WMI, so if you need to monitor Windows servers, you’ll need a Windows Collector. Aside from that, they behave exactly the same and can both monitor everything else.

Q: Can you setup RCA to use website checks as a dependancy? For example if we are monitoring remote sites without collectors (over VPN) and want to preventing an alert storm if the site's internet/power does down. by Website check, I mean doing an external PING check to a site's WAN interface on the website page in LM. Suggestion on a solution for this then?
    A: Answered at 36:32. A website cannot be added to a service and TopologySources don't run against websites. This is likely temporary.

Q: can we add the threshold using exchange?
    A: Answered at 39:03

Q: What's the best way to monitor SIP voice traffic and connectivity? We just recently switched from PRI voice connection to SIP on ShoreTel. And SIP quality.
    Follow-up Comment: You should probably post on Communities, to see if anyone has already done this. Otherwise, you're going to know what metrics you want to monitor.
    A: Answered at 40:08

Q: When you accept the local version of a changed DS property, in the Exchange, does the DS continue to be listed as "updated"?
    A: Answered at 41:36

Q: in LM exchange whate do the different Installed states mean (Customized, Unimplemented)
    A: Answered at 42:24

Q: when we import the datasource from exchange
    A: Answered at 46:17

Q: What is LM Exchange means diff from LM
    A: Answered at 46:30

Q: What is the expectation around the ratings in LM Exchange? What criteria do you expect your customers to use when rating?
    A: Answered at 48:10

Q: When we import the datasource from exchnage, can we reatin the changes in the local datasource ex: Threshold
    Follow-up comment: Yeah, just keep the "local" copy.
    A: Answered at 49:11

Q: How does a module in the Exchange, get "LM endorsed"?
    A: Answered at 49:59 @Michael Rodrigues

Q: Will that overwrite instance level thresholds?
    A: Answered at 51:16

Q: When server changes the IP Address from old to new, will LM changes on the console automatically or we have to do manually
    Follow-up Comment: If you are thinking DR, you can use FQDN instead of ip address for monitoring (and use 127.0.0.1 for collectors)
    A: Answered at 52:22

Q: As far as log how do we know when/who did a group was added/removed from a Device?
    A: Answered at 53:54

Q: What’s the difference between static vs dynamic thresholds?
    A: Static thresholds do not change the value that must be surpassed to open an alert. Dynamic thresholds dynamically change according to the determination of "normal".