Forum Discussion

10 months ago

Why is there an option to focus on the datasource or instance level?

I noticed that there is a “plus” icon next to nearly everything in the new UI, from resources to logicmodules to instances. The plus icon focuses similar to the eyeball in UIv3.

If I select the “plus” icon next to an instance or datasource, it focuses only on that and the rest of the modules/instances on the device are hidden. I can’t think of any use case for that, and I could see it causing users to get “lost”.

I would rather see the focus option removed from the instance/datasource level, and only be an option on the device or group level like it was in UIv3.

16 Replies

• I haven’t used any of the beta pages in quite a while, so my experience with slowness is mostly around the alerts page and the logs page. 

The most common (and longest) latency has to do with switching between UIv3 and Uiv4. Like a whole new set of libraries has to be loaded and that has to happen before anything even gets displayed. This lag is not noticeable when going from a UIv4 page to a UIv4 page, so maybe it will resolve itself when there’s no more switching.

It seems like there’s no pre-fetching happening at all. 

LM Logs is just slow because there appears to be a lot of waiting for data. The page loads quickly enough (if you came from a v4 page), but last hour of logs can take 4-5 seconds to load the header graph and then the actual logs themselves. Often I need to look at much larger timeframes (24 hours or a week), with specific filters, which takes 15-35 seconds to load. Adding parsing functions to that doesn’t seem to add any additional latency. It’s just waiting for the log data to actually get to my browser.

• The module toolbox is also pretty bad when waiting for a search result. 4-5 seconds for anything, and everything seems to get reloaded /refreshed whenever you do anything. No caching appears to happen at all.

• When i use the focus feature, it’s to focus on a group because i need to do something with multiple things in the group and i don’t want to have to scroll through the tree to find the group that’s 5 levels down. Just makes it easier visually. Also once i do change something on a device in that group, it changes the focus to the one device. Hitting the back button in my browser brings me right back to the group i was looking at before it navigated away without me wanting it to.

The other time i use the focus feature is to focus on a single device because i’m showing someone from the NOC how to navigate and understand the data and i don’t want them distracted by the other stuff they’d see in my resource tree that they’d never see in theirs.

One time focusing on a datasource would be handy is after i’ve created the datasource, but before no instances are discovered. In UIv3, I have to navigate to an instance under an adjacent datasource and pound refresh on that page so that the resource tree is redrawn every time. This means i can see the instances when they show up instead having to refresh and drill down each time i refresh just to see that the instances aren’t there yet.

• Resizing columns is also pretty jerky. This causes me to have to slow down to wait for the display to catch up to the position of my mouse to make sure the column ends up the size i want.

• So far, my feeling is: if you moved the magnifier over to the right hand side, it wouldn’t be an issue. Those who want to use it will find it and it won’t be in the way of those who don’t.

{
    position:fixed;
    right:0px;
    }