Forum Discussion

4 months ago

Post moderation

I’m not opposed to post moderation. However, i don’t think LM should be the gateway for moderating posts on the community. I’d like to request that a community board be setup consisting of elected and LM approved community members. I’d like that board to:

• have the ability to moderate posts
  • be part of conversations about strategic direction of the community, especially platform changes
  • meet at least monthly, with LM employee attendance optional
  • compile the top feature requests submitted through the community and meet with the corresponding product managers to understand the plans for implementation of those feature requests
  • bring to the attention of LM the posts/questions that require their feedback
  • Suggest, schedule, and host webinars presented by LMers or community members that would benefit the community
  • Maintain a budget of sponsored funds from LM that can be used for community events including but not limited to board transportation, room, and board to LM events like LevelUp

The above is a simple list specific to this community. A more detailed but generic list of duties would include:

1. Strategic Planning:

• Develop and articulate the community's long-term vision and mission.
    • Define strategic goals and objectives for the community.
  2. Governance:

• Establish and enforce community guidelines, code of conduct, and policies.
    • Define membership criteria and processes.
    • Ensure fair and transparent decision-making processes.
  3. Community Building:

• Foster a positive and inclusive community culture.
    • Organize and promote community events, such as meetups, conferences, and hackathons.
    • Encourage networking and collaboration among community members.
  4. Communication:

• Maintain regular communication channels, such as forums, mailing lists, or chat platforms.
    • Facilitate discussions among community members.
    • Provide updates on community projects, milestones, and achievements.
  5. Documentation:

• Encourage and facilitate the creation of high-quality documentation for community projects.
    • Ensure that documentation is up-to-date and easily accessible.
  6. Contributor Recognition:

• Establish a system for recognizing and rewarding contributors.
    • Acknowledge and celebrate achievements and milestones within the community.
  7. Conflict Resolution:

• Mediate disputes and conflicts within the community.
    • Implement a fair and transparent process for handling disagreements.
  8. Resource Management:

• Manage financial resources for community projects.
    • Allocate resources to support community initiatives and events.
  9. Collaboration with Stakeholders:

• Build and maintain relationships with external stakeholders, such as sponsors, partners, and user groups.
    • Collaborate with other communities and organizations.
  10. Technical Oversight:

• Provide technical guidance and oversight for community projects.
    • Ensure that projects align with the community's goals and standards.
  11. Security and Compliance:

• Establish and enforce security best practices.
    • Ensure compliance with relevant legal and licensing requirements.
  12. Community Growth:

• Develop strategies to attract new contributors and users.
    • Explore opportunities for expanding the community's reach and impact.
  13. Feedback Mechanisms:

• Establish mechanisms for collecting and acting upon feedback from the community.
    • Regularly assess the effectiveness of community initiatives.
  14. Education and Training:

• Facilitate educational programs, workshops, and training sessions for community members.
    • Support initiatives that enhance the skills and knowledge of contributors.
  15. Sustainability:

• Develop plans and strategies to ensure the long-term sustainability of community projects.
    • Identify and mitigate risks that may impact the community's stability.

8 Replies

A11ey
    Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager

@Stuart Weenig 

Related to this list specifically, 

• have the ability to moderate posts See responses above.

For all the below we have the Community Feedback forum, which is open to all, where I ask and answer questions about community features and changes, all Community members are welcome to ask questions or make suggestions. 

Beginning Q1 we will kick off a more formal “SuperUser” program, which will include access to a private forum, monthly meetings and some other perks we are still working out.  But all of the topics below could be discussed on these calls or in the new forum. 

• be part of conversations about strategic direction of the community, especially platform changes  and as you know I included you and some the top users of Community who indicated an interest in the most recent discussion about our current platform. 
    • meet at least monthly, with LM employee attendance optional   See above
    • compile the top feature requests submitted through the community and meet with the corresponding product managers to understand the plans for implementation of those feature requests A top priority for this year is implementing ideas, this is a limitation not easily supported by our current platform, but one of the big reasons that drove a platform review was the integration of ProductBoard. 
    • bring to the attention of LM the posts/questions that require their feedback This is happening today, our Support teams review posts and provide feedback, and based on member rank, users can report any post for review. We are looking at process improvements with a new platform, which would allow for more permissions for Super Users. 
    • Suggest, schedule, and host webinars presented by LMers or community members that would benefit the community. With the new SU program certain customers will have input to Community webinars.
    • Maintain a budget of sponsored funds from LM that can be used for community events including but not limited to board transportation, room, and board to LM events like LevelUp. 
    A11ey

@Stuart Weenig as I mentioned in PM, this is not an LM Moderation issue, it is a platform limitation issue, that I have reported to the vendor.  The issues stems from our use of code snippets in posts, which for our Community is an issue.  While this does happen, it is rare, but please know that LM is NOT moderating posts prior to submission. 

A11ey

Totally agree! Stay tuned for more information on the Super User program!  In the meantime please feel free to post questions, deas and recommendations here in the Community Feedback forum. 

Thanks as always for your input! 

• I can agree that a third party moderation board seems like the best option. It sure looks like you have put a lot of thought into this. 

• @Stuart Weenig as I mentioned in PM, this is not an LM Moderation issue, it is a platform limitation issue, that I have reported to the vendor.  The issues stems from our use of code snippets in posts, which for our Community is an issue.  While this does happen, it is rare, but please know that LM is NOT moderating posts prior to submission. 

This was initially due to the platform randomly moderating some of my posts. However, this is a larger conversation that the community needs to start taking part of, regardless of limitations in the current platform, new platform, or as yet unimagined platforms. My intent was to start the conversation around us members taking more of an active role in the day to day running and decision making of the community.

• @Stuart Weenig as I mentioned in PM, this is not an LM Moderation issue, it is a platform limitation issue, that I have reported to the vendor.  The issues stems from our use of code snippets in posts, which for our Community is an issue.  While this does happen, it is rare, but please know that LM is NOT moderating posts prior to submission. 

You mention LM is not moderating posts prior to submission, what about post submission?

A11ey

@Gusty yes we do have moderation rules that trigger a review and we monitor posts as they come in.   Additionally there is a Rank based feature for users to Report content for review.