Forum Discussion

10 Replies

A11ey
    Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager

@Cole McDonald yes, those are the LM cookie settings for Community.  The LM website also has their own cookie settings 

A11ey

Interesting! I have no idea where some of those would come from. I see in your site selection you have both community, and the logic monitor domain. I'll try to do some digging on this and see what comes from community, and where it comes from! 

Thanks for sharing!

• Yeah, Chrome’s new indicator made me decide to just block all third party cookies within chrome, no extension needed. I mean, just lock everything out, that won’t mess anything up, right? I mean, if you suspect a security problem, just force everyone to reset their password and break SSO, right? That’s what you do, right?

@A11ey, that’s how cookies work. Any website in the domain can set a cookie and it’ll be available to the other sites in the domain. So if I go to logicmonitor.com and it sets a cookie, that cookie would be available at community.logicmonitor.com, and vice versa. It’s not something I set, it’s how cookies work. Those are both 1st party cookies. Check any social embeds that are on the community site. Most of it is tracking stuff so places like LinkedIn will know that I visited your site and will try to serve me content that matches. That’s how Facebook knows that you searched for blenders on Amazon and presents ads for blenders on Amazon in your Facebook feed. It’s a huge privacy violation because most people don’t know that it’s happening.

What it also means is that if i go to myportal.logicmonitor.com and also go to mysandboxportal.logicmonitor.com, each could set a cookie. I could then go to the non-existent login.logicmonitor.com and sign into any of my portals with one click the same way google does when you’re signed into multiple accounts. 

A11ey

Got it!  Just trying to figure out which ones were set by Community, far as I can tell these are the only ones being set by the Community app?

• Though before i posted that response, it showed 2 third party cookies blocked. After, it showed 73 third party cookies blocked.

A11ey

Seems right to me. That’s from developer tools, yes?

Yes!

Though before i posted that response, it showed 2 third party cookies blocked. After, it showed 73 third party cookies blocked.

Gotta love cookies 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

• At the bottom of the pates, found a text link - it was “Complete” by default: