Forum Discussion

5 years ago

DataSource polling cycle question

Hello everyone, 

I've setup a datasource that retrieves data from a logfile.txt every 10 minutes (located on the collector itself) . 
That logfile is populated by another script (from a proprietary language) that runs on the collector VM level (it dumps his different variables within the logfile.txt).
The datasource will then retrieve the content of the textfile (using a simple powershell script) & act according to the different datapoints that I've setup - until this point I've no issues (everything working smoothly)

My problem starts on the datasource polling/run cycles.
The script running at the collector VM runs every 10 minutes (00:00, 00:10, 00:20, etc...) & it takes a maximum of 5 minutes to run.
What I would like to accomplish is having the datasource in question running right after that maximum run time (.e.g - 00:06, 00:16, etc... ). 

I noticed that the polling cycle(s) change sometimes (arbitrarily) & I cannot force those to run (when I want).
Is there any way that I can accomplish this?

Thanks guys!!

Regards,

4 Replies

• Not that I'm aware of. I haven't looked too closely at collector polling details but from my understanding tasks get queued at the collector. You can see this queue by using the !tlist debug command. So when it runs could change depending on the workload.

• @Vitor Santos you won't have that kind of control over scheduling.

Did you try using Upload Script? You should be able to use your proprietary language directly and avoid the hassle of syncing up two scripts

• 13 hours ago, Michael Rodrigues said:

@Vitor Santos you won't have that kind of control over scheduling.

Did you try using Upload Script? You should be able to use your proprietary language directly and avoid the hassle of syncing up two scripts

I've tried that yes, didn't worked for me.
    Because these scripts require to use the GUI & using the 'Upload Script' doesn't trigger it. I even opened a case with LM but the engineer who picked it said it wasn't possible in this scenario.

• 22 hours ago, Mike Moniz said:

Not that I'm aware of. I haven't looked too closely at collector polling details but from my understanding tasks get queued at the collector. You can see this queue by using the !tlist debug command. So when it runs could change depending on the workload.

I've used the !tlist indeed however it doesn't help me, because it only shows the scheduled run.
    I think a great improvement would be having some sort of control over the polling cycles (in terms of when they run). As an MSP &  with all the different clients/exceptions, this would be a great help (for specific DataSources).