Forum Discussion

10 months ago
Solved

You might blow your stuff up disclaimer

It might be good to add a legal footer on every page letting people know that any code or suggestions they find on the community might not be supported. Wouldn't want a non-account holding user to stumble upon some suggestion in the community, use it, and blow up their stuff or incur a bunch of charges.

I know there's something for authenticated users, but there should be something on the footer of every page for those who decide not to ever sign up/log in.

• Great timing. We are actually working on updated terms now. I think they cover this but I'll send to legal just in case.  Also I will add a disclaimer to the community guidelines.   Thanks for your input as always! Appreciate everyone working together to make this community better! 

5 Replies

A11ey
    Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager

Great timing. We are actually working on updated terms now. I think they cover this but I'll send to legal just in case.  Also I will add a disclaimer to the community guidelines.   Thanks for your input as always! Appreciate everyone working together to make this community better! 

mray
    Icon for LM Conqueror rankLM Conqueror

I feel like this is a direct response to my last comment 🤣

But yeah idk if a disclaimer is possible for all pages. If it is, I think that would be a fantastic addition. Or perhaps a pop-up modal when you first enter the site?

Discussions on this forum frequently go way beyond the scope of support and there should be a clear warning. Like a warning you might find on a shoe saying the shoe is not edible...

Speaking of our support scope, I’ll link that here: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/about-logicmonitor/customer-support/logicmonitor-technical-support-packages

I guess regardless, we as community members will have to self monitor the forum and point out potentially dangerous suggestions when/if we can. 

• I feel like this is a direct response to my last comment 🤣

Haha, not actually. The guy asking about disabling datasources to reduce cost. I’m more concerned with if someone takes my advice and it causes them to incur a bunch of charges from their cloud provider or disables something that would have caught a big costly error.

But yeah idk if a disclaimer is possible for all pages. If it is, I think that would be a fantastic addition. Or perhaps a pop-up modal when you first enter the site?

Yeah, it can be done. See the blue “Write a LogicMonitor review...” thing at the bottom of this page? Added just like that.

Discussions on this forum frequently go way beyond the scope of support and there should be a clear warning. Like a warning you might find on a shoe saying the shoe is not edible…

Exactly what I’m thinking about. 

Speaking of our support scope, I’ll link that here: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/about-logicmonitor/customer-support/logicmonitor-technical-support-packages

Good link to have in that disclaimer. It should include something like, “Community members are volunteering their time and talents to answer your question. Be patient with them and don’t DM them about something you just posted because you want an answer right away. If you want someone to answer to you directly and within a specific timeframe, you could employ them, or engage LM PS.”

I guess regardless, we as community members will have to self monitor the forum and point out potentially dangerous suggestions when/if we can. 

Of course. The disclaimer is just for stuff that falls through the cracks. CYA.

• In past communities (even the previous LM community) we had something like this. It’s a good way for LM lawyers to make sure community members are free to post suggestions without worrying about legal blowback.